1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Frozen plow...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Up North, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Well wouldn't you know it...I asked in a post here a few days ago if I should put my plow in the shop because it was going to be -20 to -30 below here for a few nights. I decided to keep it outside to see if it would be okay, besides, it doesn't snow when it's that cold. Well...this morning I get a call from a customer that is a caretaker for an estate and the owners of the estate decided to come up to their place for Christmas. Caretaker wanted me to go over and push out the drifts and little bit of snow we had gotten...no problem I say. But I'm thinking...I hope the plow isn't froze up. Well I hook up this morning and it's -24 below, I raise the plow and then it slowly drops again, I do this for about 4 cycles and it finally stays up. I get over to the estate and on my 3rd windrow the plow won't drop all the way down, tried pushing it down, nothing. Luckily it would raise so I could get it home and into the heated shop. After I got it in the shop, it wouldn't angle, drop, or anything, just dead. Check my fuses, all okay. Called dealer and they couldn't figure it out either, so after a couple hours sitting in the shop I hop in to take it to the dealer and it works just fine! Went and plowed the estate without a hitch.

Moral of the story...if it's going to be -20 below and you may have to use the plow, put the dam thing in the shop and don't let it sit outside. :nono:

Buck

Last edited: Dec 23, 2004
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Buck, it's been 30 below and colder here before and mine has never froze. I use the Boss hydraulic fluid. $6.00 per quart. :nod:
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck. :eek:

3. Up North

Up North Senior Member

After Christmas I'm going to call Blizzard and see if that is something common for them...to have the fluid freeze up at super cold temps. Either way, I may look at switching to the Boss fluid. Shouldn't be a problem with using it, you think? At least I got the customer plowed out. They actually felt bad and were apologizing for having me go out there in this weather...but hey it's not their fault. But glad they were so understanding.

Have a great Christmas Boss!

Buck

4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

This is not common with the blizzard but here is food for thought.

Maybe moisture in system?
    Your drop speed adjustment may be closed too much
    and when the fluid is a little thicker because of cold it won't flow past the valve. Recommend you open it a little more when it is real cold. Hope this helps.

5. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Thanks Dave, I'll look into that. Also...when I got back home and put the plow & truck in the shop, it wouldn't move at all. No angle, no lift, no drop nothing, just acted dead. Now I'm wondering, since it was so cold I wasn't able to push the electrical connection together fully, I would guess it needed another 1/4 inch before it was fully connected or push tightly together. After it warmed a bit I was able to push it together tightly but still no reaction from the joystick. Could my connection have been wet or iced and that was causing my problem? I have the 760LT.

Buck