1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

frozen pivot pin

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by kashman, Mar 21, 2008.

1. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

we i got one the left one out but cant get the right side out . could use a hint our trick for this thing . I hit it with heat and a 5lb and 10lb sledge it just bends. do i have2 cut it flush and drill it out or what

2. FordPlow

FordPlow Junior Member

When my pivot pins broke-------Dealer had to replace the sector---He had no other way to get them out.

3. kashman

iv got my sector off just cant get the pin out iv got some work 2 do on that 2

4. kashman

see it needs some welding and some heat and bending

1.JPG

2.JPG

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You could repair it, but judging by your pics it needs both ends straightened, at least one tube replaced and the center pivot hole fixed. You'd be future ahead to change it out.

The sectors for the ST plows are not expensive new, or even swap it for a used one.

6. kashman

ya im going 2 day 2 get a new sector 180 out the door but i will keep and fix the old one as a back up .. ya today i get 2 try and get the pin out of the blade

7. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

you need heat. alot of heat and a big sledge..

JR

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Quickest way it cut the tube off and replace it. SAM and Meyer both make pivot tube repair kits. Cheaper then the cost of Ox/acetylene to get it hot enough. Plus the heat will weaken the tube, make it softer and it will stretch out of shape.

Replace the pivot pins with the real Meyer part. They have grease fittings.

9. kashman

well we got no blind welder in notheast ohio. i cant get a shade 7 lens for my shield but the 8 will have 2 do.

10. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

i used a lot of heat and put it in a 20 ton press i had set up. It came out. it was a bit#$. Then the next week i broke the sector and it was all for nothing.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

All that heat.

12. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

well it was not the part that i was heating up that broke. that is the thing, but now i know how to do it for the future.

13. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

I guess I had it easy when I did mine. I just had to heat the tube for a bit and they both came out with one good hit.

14. kashman

well i broke down and cut pivot tubes off they dont give you a lot of room 2 weld the new one I sure wish i had a stick welder the mig just cant get in that tight but made do

15. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Next time throw out the " anybody close to me have a stick welder" question. You may even find one for rent around Cleveland. I know Home Depot rents wire welders.

16. kashman

i have access 2 any thing 2 do with welding and fabrication my uncle is the plant manager at a steel fab shop just didnt feel like taking it 2 his shop. stick would have been ezrrrrrrrr but the mig did it just fine

17. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It's no cut on you.
    Part of the forum is to educate and another is to help each other out. The next guy that reads the post may throw out the question and I or someone live's 3 miles from him. Two minutes of welding and it's done! Bring Beer and we will BS for a few hours afterward.