1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

frozen meyer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by xzostd1, Jan 22, 2005.

1. xzostd1

xzostd1 Junior Member

My meyer 47 worked great last year. This year it stops working until I warm it with a propane torch. I have changed the fluid twice with meyers fluid with no change. Do I need to flush it or should I use different fluid or could I be having a internal seal problem?? Pump is 10 years old. Any help is appreciated
    Bill Huntley Michigans Upper Penninsula
  2. 4speed

4speed Member

The fact that heat helps means ther is water in the system. did you purge the cylinders when you chaanged the fluid?
  3. hillmin

hillmin Junior Member

Problem I had with an old Meyers where I had to put the heat to it was with the solenoids. Seems they would collect just enough moisture to freeze up.
  4. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

There is a sump area that can trap ice. Make sure pump is warm(in heated area overnight Prior to flushing. Also flush several times with Naptha to get all water and debris out.
  5. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

frozen meyers

The hydraulic fluid is hygroscopic. It will absorb moisture. I would check the top bolts to see what condition the nylite washers are that seal the top to the hydraulic unit. Also I would check the seal on the lift ram. This is another way for water to get in. I then would replace the check valve on the fill bushing. That is the ways water can get into a meyers.

Yes you do also need to let it warm up and all water to become liquid again and also change fluid in angling rams also.

Good PM would be to change all fluids at beginning of seasion.

6. Bayrat

Bayrat Junior Member
    from usa

Had two Myers front mount electric during the 80's and 90's between one Western and a Fisher. The Myers injected themselves with water no matter what I did. I drained systems, changed fluids sealed the units on the outside with RTV and finally got rid of them. I knew others running those things that made covers for the lift unit to keep moisture out. You could count on them being frozen on the coldest night just when needed most. Now the straight hydraulic Myers unit that came with the Sno-Commander package that Dodge and Plymouth offered, what a great unit. No battery drain and I literally did NOTHING to them for repairs. Quiet, fast and dependable...

The electric over hydraulic Myers "under hood" mount I had was a good unit as well. But again, it was not exposed to rain.