1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Frozen locks!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Mistel, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Mistel

Mistel Member

I had this problem last year, I just kind of lived with it, but it has started again and I would like to fix it.

I have an 83 Dodge D50 (kinda like a Ranger) it is old but in good shape but I guess the weatherstripping is not working that good anymore. My door locks freeze, which I can get open with some lock de-icer, but then the latch won't catch when I get in and try to shut it. The rod is getting stuck or something like that. Once the truck heats up, it closes. Before I take the door apart, I would like to try spraying something in the door, around the locks. I am looking for suggestions of what is best to spray in?

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

you could use silcone spray
  3. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

Try Fluid Film. Seems to work on everything else.
  4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

yeah i havent shot it in the keyhole yet
  5. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

Spray WD-40 in the locks after washing it & regularly when it's cold. After a wash, take a spong (or applicator) & wipe some tire dressing on all of the weather stripping.
  6. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 Senior Member

7. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

Fluid Film WILL do the trick. That's a great application. :drinkup: