1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Frozen lines ?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by xxFRACTURExx, Mar 1, 2008.

1. xxFRACTURExx

xxFRACTURExx Junior Member

I didn't replace my hydraulic fluid since I got my plow ~3 yrs ago (OK OK - I know now....WAY bad plan) and when it stopped working (motor whining w/ no movement) the Western dealer serviced it and said it probably had frozen water condensation in the line. That was early January. Yesterday it seems it did it again. Running down to 20-25 degrees F at most (upstate NY) I don't know why this would happen so soon when it was 3 yrs & near 0 deg F when it happened the first time. Do you think I got ripped off of my ~90 bucks and didn't actually get my hydrolics replaced? Is there any way I could check myself? It was definitly frozen again, whining pump motor w/o movement, today it (luckily) warmed up to ~39 deg F and it worked w/o a hitch.

I cannot store indoors but I am willing to contrive/design something for warming if this is a known Western design flaw. I'm thinking of incandescent light bulbs under insulated blankets/tarps or some of the devices you'd wrap on (and plug in) for frozen house pipes. Could leave the latter on all the time and plug in as needed.

No joy w/ search of the site here of hydaulic warming.

Thanx for any help.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Try putting a capful of rubbing alcohol in the pump. The alcohol will keep the lines from freezing.