1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

frozen front rotors

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wirenut, May 3, 2012.

1. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

hey B&B how do i get frozen front rotors off? will a big hammer ruin the bearings?
    thanks

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Cut them off.

3. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

What year is your ride? If you use a BFH just keep in mind that rotors are cast iron. Have you taken them off before? If not there are 2 or 3 lock washers. On the studs. To keep the rotors on from the plant. Try spraying them down with PBplaster and use a dead plow. And if its a newer truck. It will have hubs. And you should be fine

4. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I had a tough one on my 04 Yukon. Heat, a big hammer and about 45 min. got it off! My 06 Sierra had two threaded holes in the rotor. I was lucky enough to have a couple bolts that fit in. A few turns at a time on each and the rotor popped right off.

5. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I'm with GV on this one. I have had to torch them off in the past if beating the crap out of them doesn't work

6. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Never had a set I could not get off with an air hammer. What truck do you have. The older 88 to 98 style 3/4 and 1 tons are a captured style and comes off with the hub and bearing. So we need more info.

7. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Good point, I didn't think about those:salute:

8. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

its an 04 4wd z71 1500. . i dont have cutting torch. was thinking about drilling and tapping for some 1/2'..bolts to push it off ....never been off

thanks

9. 06Sierra

from Maine

Although not ideal by any means, I bought a propane torch at napa and a bottle of mapp gas. Like I said above, it took a good 45 minutes of heating and pounding to get it off. I now have an air hammer.

10. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

what is ment by captured style ?? the center nut type?

11. 06Sierra

from Maine

You don't have to take the center nut off.

12. brad96z28

Those should come rite off . spray then up around the hub wheel studs, and if u dont have acess to an air hammer hit them from the back with the largest hammer u can find occaisonally turning the rotor as u hit it.

13. brad96z28

I try not to think about them, they really suck to do. :cry:

14. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I would have to agree with brad hitting it from the back and rotating it and working it off usually works for me.

15. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

This style can be no fun to remove. One side of my 98 1 ton was rusted on and we had to torch off the head of one bolt and then use a hub puller, a big hammer and a big punch to finally remove the hub/bearing assembly. This is after the truck sat for two weeks on jack stands while I tried everything in the world to get that one bolt out. I also had to replace the CV shaft on that side because when my buddy was using the torch, he accidently burned a big hole in the CV boot. Talk about a bad day. I hope to not have to do this job again but it depends on whether my rotors last without warping. Good luck.

Wayne

16. Bandit

Bandit Senior Member

Lots of PB Blaster or Free All ( forget about WD-40 and similar products ) spray around the studs and center hub and keep turning and tapping with a Ball Peen Hammer On The Front Side .
    Before You use the BFH on the back side .
    Took Me a while to get the frozen rotors off my daughters Durango doing it this way , but they came off .
    SOAK and REPEAT LOL
    Bob

17. 06Sierra

from Maine

Seafoam deep creep is hard to beat with rusty stuff. Wish I would have had that instead of pb blaster when I was fighting with mine.

18. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

when you do get them off clean the hub up with a cookie on an air grinder and apply anti-seize to the hub before you put the rotor on.Do the rotors now have threaded holes for bolts?

19. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

well i got them off...had to break the outer ring then break a piece so i could get a chisel
    between it and hub. (now i know just to cut out a piece for a chisel next time instead of
    beating it to death and screwing up a stud..:rolleyes:)
    thanks for all the help guys:drinkup:

20. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

rotor had 2 non tapped holes in them.....prob should have taped them...but i put the never seize to the edge and faces of hubs and shoulder and backs of rotors.

now is it possible to change a stud without taking it all apart again as i whacked one
    with hammer.