1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Frozen Front Brakes

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Flounder, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Flounder

Flounder Junior Member

Hello.I would appreciate some advice on how to approach a problem I am having with my1986 c10.The front brakes seem to freeze up after a moderate amount of pressure is applied and takes a few minutes of sitting before they release.As the truck is new to me,my first thought was calipers.The former owner said they have been replaced,and was told that the cause was hoses? This frozen condition happens everytime the pedal is depressed.Are there any other possible causes,or surefire methods of narrowing this down without replcing everything? Any help would be great,thanks.
  2. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

it most likely the hoses that are about $20 a piece and good insurance if they are dry and cracked
    if you want to check lock the brake and release crack the line on the master cylinder if it realases imidiately its a master problem if not crack the bleeders on the calipers open if this realeases it replace the hoses
  3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

It is most likely the hoses. They can look fine on the outside, be be deterioriated on the inside. Just make sure you can get the bleeder screws open on the calipers before you change the hoses. It would really suck if you couldn't bleed the brakes after replacing the hoses due to seized bleeders.

4. reallyrusty

reallyrusty Member

I had the same problem and it was the hoses. They can collapse inside with age and form a blockage. You can pressurize brake fluid thru, and it stays in the caliper under low pressure because of the blockage. I didn't believe it could happen till i saw the crossectioned hose myself.
  5. nrn51983

nrn51983 Junior Member

When my truck brakes froze up, I wasn't lucky enough to get new hoses. I had to get a combination valve. If brake fluid doesn't get flushed out once in awhile a build up forms on the porportioning valve and somehow thats what made them stick.
  6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

we just did the brakes on my 3/4 ton 4x4 and they were really one there.took a while to get them to come off.
  7. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

What took awhile? The calipers? rotors? drums?