1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Frozen Fisher

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by shepman, Dec 8, 2009.

1. shepman

shepman Junior Member

I attempted to hook up my plow today for the first time before a storm tomorrow and when I went to pick up the plow all that happens is the lights dim. The up/down ram is down and the chain is loose. Fluid is full and changed toward the end of the season last year. No problem with it last year. It's an 8' plow on a '04 Ford superduty. Snows a coming - please help.

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

at least you didnt wait til the last minute:rolleyes:;)

3. shepman

shepman Junior Member

don't we all wait till the last minute. I just love pushing the white stuff around - at 3 different houses all with long driveways and garages and barns and turn arounds.

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

does the motor run or the solenoid click? start at the battery and check all connections for corrosion and being TIGHT. any loose connection will kill it. clean the 9 pin connector with brake clean and blow out with air.

5. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

My guess, it's a stuck relay. Just hit, I mean tap, it.

6. shepman

shepman Junior Member

I do hear a loud clicking when moving the controller stick . Were are the relays for me to tap?

7. Wildman_fab

Wildman_fab Junior Member

There will be one main solenoid that powers the whole system, is this a MM1 or MM2 system?

8. shepman

shepman Junior Member

how do I tell? what is the difference?

9. Wildman_fab

Are there 2 wires to hook the plow up or 3?

10. shepman

shepman Junior Member

there are 3 cables

11. dbduts

dbduts Member

any bad connection outside can cause the plow not to move

12. shepman

shepman Junior Member

but what is making the lights dim and motor rpms go down when trying to move the plow in any direction. doesn't seem like a bad connection - more like a bad or frozen pump motor. I could be wrong???

13. AGMI

AGMI Member
    from NE Mass

get a wire tester! and while someone is pressing up, see where you are losing power. I would suspect that it is in the selenoid under the hood. prob blown or not getting juice. But first, check your fluid

14. shepman

shepman Junior Member

I can hear the solinoid on the insde of the fender click when I move the lever. I can only move the lever for less than a second because the lights dim way down.

15. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

mine did it a few weeks ago and i just took apart the controller and cleaned it and after that it worked fine, also just clicked too.

16. Wildman_fab

Just because it 'clicks' or 'clunks' dosnt mean its working! It soudns like a short and your loading the whole system.
    Get a meeter or at least a test light to find out whats going on. Motors are expensive, its much cheaper to spend some time on it instead of throwing parts at it.

17. dbduts

dbduts Member

try hooking up jumper cables from ground on battery possitive on batery and then to positive stud on plow motor and to ground onpump motor and see if dims lights and motor works