1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

frount end

Discussion in 'Import and Other Trucks (Light Duty)' started by mud_man93, Mar 18, 2003.

1. mud_man93

mud_man93 Member
    from maine

last weekend i was coming up my drive way and i started fish tailing and slid into the snow bank i kicked the snow away and locked my hubs in and went to take off in 4 low when i herd this loud clunk and no 4x4 i had my dad tow me up and looked every thing over i couldnt see any thing broken but it keeped clunking wicked bad so i had it towed to the delear and come to find out i snaped the hub, ring gear, pinion gear, spider gears i was woundering if anyone has any idea what could have caused this to happen.

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

First of all need the truck info. Make, model, etc.

Second if you lock the hubs and then slam it in low you load up the drivetrain with a lot of torque. Then when the play in the drivetrain get taken up something snaps. I have seen off road truck running big tires and low gears actually snap motor mounts. Take it easy next time. When in low use gentle even power.

Incidently unless the truck is warrantied I would take it to a local mechanic, not dealer, and have used parts installed to save bucks.
  3. mud_man93

mud_man93 Member
    from maine

it is a 99 toyota tacoma 2.7 extended cab 50k on it luckily it was warrantied but it will take 1 -2 months to get the parts from Japan :realmad: :realmad:
  4. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Aren't those trucks built in the US? 1-2 months for parts under warranty usually would enact a Lemon Law!

READ you warranty carefully, you might be entitled to something!

5. mud_man93

mud_man93 Member
    from maine

i thought that it was along time too, but the parts came in thursday and the truck went in friday i was suprised it only to 3 hours for them to fix it. and they told me that they dont recomend 4 low unless u just need it to go slow.