1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Frosty the SnowPlow goes belly-up, watch the news video

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Grn Mtn, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

That was very comical. Sounds like someone has a few lawsuits on their hands. Wasnt he on here too?

3. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

Good for them. That will teach them. Thats what people get for contracting with CHEAP AS#S friggin wanna be, I have a new truck because I live with my parents and have no bills snow jockey. Pis#es me off with these guys. Wake up people, we are providing and emergancy service here and to do it cheaper than your competitor. Let them go out of business. Twenty years ago, I was plowing driveways contract for $250.00. Now I won't touch a driveway for less than $500.00.
    P.S And just because it doesn't snow, don't think you insurance company is going to reduce your rate or give you money back.!!!

4. Grn Mtn

Wrong member, frostysnow is 17 and out of ohio, This guy is older and in Rochester NY

5. vwovw

vwovw Senior Member

idiot only had four bbb complaints. i like people like this. i'll use this story to get some more accounts. rule of thumb if you do a contract do spend the money before winter comes. put it in an account and spend it after you've done the job. and if you can manage that then go work for somebody else. lot less stress. I have contracts that pay after each snow fall. nothing worse then doing a job and not get payed after... cause you spent the money during the fall.

6. vwovw

vwovw Senior Member

yea the other frosty can't pay his internet server:yow!:

7. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

Guys like that give US a bad name . They make residential SERVICE AGGREMENTS Look like a death threat. Good job buddy. Try Landscaping next its not like its hard enough there too.:realmad:
    JOSH

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

AGAIN? Seems I read about this in Rochester a couple years ago. Actually, the wording even sounds familiar to a much larger operation that took a bunch of people's money and run. Although, the money they took was from plow contractor's money for the "privilege" of bidding on jobs they may or may not get.

Sometimes it seems like the whole snowplowing industry is a giant ripoff. Maybe I can get a guy I know to give this guy a visit and encourage him to find a different line of work.

9. WALKERS

Good idea does your guy need a colection started to pay for gas:D :gunsfiring: LOL

10. Grn Mtn

almost every winter this happens. we have sooooo many plow guys that it will happen again, and again...

11. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

This can happen to Any company that has only one truck and one plow.
    How many guys on here are a one truck operation. I think they are playing with fire and could be burnt at any time.

12. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Hey I am a one man show, and I am not playing with fire. Just because I dont have thousands of dollars and two or three trucks or more doesnt make me suck, a lowballer or whatever. You just gotta be smart in your business decisions and take care of what you got. That is why people have friends. When in a jam, call your friend. Worst comes to worst, I would shovel my accounts if I had to. I am just that dedicated. What burns me is everyone thinking you are the scum of the earth just because you are only a one man show and only like 18-23 years old.:angry:

13. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

Back-up, Back-up, Back-up. Can't stress it more. the only problem with relying on a friend is if he's backed up (like with the amount of snow we had two weeks ago) or down a truck your screwed. Remember, your in business for yourself, which means you have to protect yourself. When you get into a jam, you find who is your true friends and then when you get older you will be able to count your friends on one hand.

14. Grn Mtn

Its funny how people assumed this guy was a solo opp and or a lowballer. Now I'm not defending the dude BUT he was neither. He had 3 trucks, a backhoe. His pricing was on par with the area, he just made some bad business decisions (he said) and some luck didn't go his way. So he took the easy way out.

What I found interesting is he had only plowed 3 times up till our big storm on the 14th, I had 14.

15. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I wasnt bantering at you or anything, just making some sort of generalization. You are right though about counting your good true friends on one hand. I am already in that boat. I do everything in my power to protect me and my business. Like I said though, I would shovel if I had too. Sorry if I came off as a dick

16. WALKERS

SYDEN
    You know you have your OHIO boys have your back. I would be awhile getting there and you better have a 12 pack or a big ass LATTE waiting on me. LOL Come to think about it yes you probably could just count us on one hand thou.:nod:
    JOSH

17. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

I wonder how most people on here knocking others started out?

Did you always have a fleet of vehicles, bobcats, salters and an unlimited supply of reliable employees?

It's easy to knock others. However it tells more about the persons character who is doing the knocking in my opinion. Best to focus your energy on your own operation and leave others to run theirs the way they see fit.

18. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

I have to say I blame the customer just a little in this,I watched the video and I couldn't believe the one comment that the guy fell for the frosty logo,what the hell? why can't consumers ask for a bloody reference from a contractor and not go by who has the pretty logo and shiney trucks in the words of Charley Brown.....good grief.

19. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

Does anybody ever have reliable unlimited employees? If we did, we wouldn't have H2-b.

20. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Looking at this is raising a question. How does a guy make money at 216 or 243 a season. If there is only 10 snow falls , it comes out at 21.60 per storm. On average, doesn't that area get like 20+? I wouldn't even think about owning a plow at 10 or 12 dollars a driveway. One of my accounts called a big landscaper in Hollis NH before I got them and was quoted $700.00 a season and we average only about 15 storms.. This year we only had 4 so far so I would say that's a profitable company even if they have 50% of the equipment idle.

One truck is problem?. You guys saying that it is, are you taking into account that if our backup friends are busy, so wouldn't your second piece of equipment. If the storms are that big all trucks are going full tilt in most cases. Unless your backup equipment is sitting idle and is just purchased standby of broken equipment, I figure your in the same boat. I personally have two backups friends all with 1/5 as many accounts as some guys. One has only two driveways on has 15. I figure they are perfect and have good dependable equipment. As of 10+ years I have alway been the one helping and never needed help but my day could come anytime.

The guys that are playing with trouble are single trucks with 50+ driveways are taking a chance with backup friends with as many. Or guys with 5 trucks with more work than they can handle on a average snow storm. Look at posts here.. I see it all the time..subs needed.