1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

frost plug

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 572bowtie, Dec 22, 2004.

1. 572bowtie

572bowtie Member

how do you get out a frost plug in a 85, 6.2 diesel?
  2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I assume you are trying to remove the plug to put in a block heater. First you take a hammer and punch to drive it loose on one side. And it should rotate so you can grab the other side with a pair of pliers or visegrips. If it doesnt rotate out of the block, take a screw driver and punch a hole in the plug and then you can pry it out. At least this is how I have always done it.
  3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

The vise-grip method was how we used to do it in the shop.... but a word of caution---don't let the plug fall into the engine (VERY easy to do if you hammer too hard or it doesn't want to pivot) because they can be hard enough to get back out with a bare block on the bench (rolling it in different directions to make it fall within reach again) let alone a complete engine in the chassis.

Another method I've heard of but never tried is to drill a hole and screw in a slide hammer....