1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

frost boils?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jts, Oct 27, 2009.

1. jts

jts Junior Member

Does salt or other ice melters cause or increase chances for frost boils on gravel. How much more salt would a gravel driveway take compared to sand to be effective. I am giving a freight company a bid with a gravel driveway (approx 70000 sq ft) 210 ft of the drive is up hill. obviously there will be semi's using this drive regularly. Will anything but sand be too sloppy for these semi's to get in and out. This is their 1st year in the building so are not able to tell me about past experiences with snow removal and deicing. I have a snow ex 575 so am somewhat limited on what I spread. Should I forget about this account? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would use as little salt as possible on gravel. Salt and you are going to have a couple of inches of slime. Best bet would be to get that road graded as smooth as possible before it freezes. It will scrape down just as well as black top. You and they want to be hoping for a hard fast freeze before you have to plow it.
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

What would someone from Maine know about gravel?

I agree with him. :waving: :D
  4. MaineF250

MaineF250 Senior Member
    from Maine

if you can keep it frozen and sand it as necessary, you can prewet your sand with calcium. This will give the sand enough burning power to stick to the gravel/ice but not melt the road. Otherwise the sand just blows off. This works great on logging roads