1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Frost Bite deicer?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by gasjr4wd, Jan 17, 2015.

1. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

Our first ice situation this year I spread 30 bags of salt left over from last year. Clumps, clumps, and clumps. It was stored in a storage unit. The bags that did run well went fine. The ones that didn't, really sucked. The most I could ever load is 3 bags. Really makes me want a bigger spreader (bulk) with all that getting out and refilling the d*m thing. It also dropped too low in temp for the salt to really work. My supplier is also pushing something called Frost Bite. Frost Bite is a mixture of calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, and sodium chloride and is supposed to run though my spreader better than salt as it doesn't clump up. The mix is said to works down to something like -15F. He said it's safe for grass and stuff as it's fertilizer mixed with a little plastic or something. Last year they had Mr. Magic I think.
    One problem is the salt is about $5.50/50lb bag and the frost bite is $12/50lb bag.
    http://frostbiteicemelt.com/
    I assume my tailgate spreader run this stuff as a mix, salt and the frost bite.
    Is anyone else running this stuff? Last year he had something else but he can't get it this year.
    Is $12 decent for Frost Bite? No one else seems to have it so it's hard to price compare. I guess I'm looking for something to run instead or mix with salt that will not make my clients run for the hills. About 95% will be just roads. This will be my second year running a spreader. I'm still learning this chemical stuff...
    Anyone try it?

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

mix peladow in 1 bag to 4 bags and see if it works for you...adjust to you situation