1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front wobble

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by Tim/oh, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Tim/oh

Tim/oh Junior Member
    from Ohio

To all Jeep experts.....HELP

OK heres the deal I have an 00 Wrangler 4.0 5spd Sahara all stock 168,000 highway miles well maintained could pass for 30,000 mile jeep. I was getting ready to install my Meyer 6.5 plow and wanted to get rid of my mild death wobble at 60mph. In the meantime I had a axle u joint get tight on it so while replacing them I put new ball joints and did the brakes including rotors. The wobble got worse. So I had the front end aligned, tow was way out and caster was ok...still had wobble. Took steering stabilizer off to check and it was shot, replaced it and still had the wobble. So I did some research and checked the front track bar ...it was moving all around on the frame side figured that was it so I replaced it.......still had wobble. The only other thing I could think to do was have the tires balanced... 1 was off 6oz the other 3oz..took it up the highway and have a very slight wobble at 65mph. At this point i want it 100% gone....I've got too much time and $$$ invested for it to even think about a slight wiggle.

Any thoughts on what I can do next?

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Are you sure ya dont have a bent rim??????????????

3. Tim/oh

Tim/oh Junior Member
    from Ohio

No bent rims, Stock canyon wheels with stock size BF Longtrail Radials.

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Do you have a lift? If so you need to reduce your caster. using stock caster with a lift will give you the wobble.

Also tie-rod ends, loose steering box or play in the steering box, Control arm bushings. you feel the wobble in the steering wheel?

Basically any play in front end parts can give you the wobble.
    driving for time with a wobble will cause other parts to wear from the constant vibration.

5. Tim/oh

Tim/oh Junior Member
    from Ohio

No lift, Just Max-air shocks to compensate for the weight of the plow when its on. Had shocks aired up to what I would have with blade on and caster still within specs. Guess I'll replace the control arm bushings next, and check the alignment sheet monday to see how close the caster is to being out of spec.

6. theplowmeister

from MA

Having the air shocks aired up without the plow on raises the front of the jeep just like a lift. Witch causes an increase in caster witch can cause wobble.
    ever had a shopping cart with wobble? To much caster.
    Caster causes the steering wheel to self center AND death wobble. To much caster and you get Death wobble to little and the steering wheel wont center.

7. tjthorson

tjthorson Senior Member
    from IL

You need to recheck the toe. Incorrect toe will cause the wobble. lifting or compressing the suspension on a TJ will change the toe.... I have gone to over a 3" lift on two different jeeps - wobble is not an issue, providing all front end parts are tight, toe is correct, and the wheels are not bent and in balance.

You can align the front end yourself. - you just need to set the toe. if you change the front end height (add a plow, add air shocks, etc) you need to reset the toe.

Head over to JeepForum.com and look up how to align the front end yourself and for other info on why the suspension travel affects toe - and incorrect tow causes wobble....

My post on how I do it myself is below.....

8. Tim/oh

Tim/oh Junior Member
    from Ohio

I keep the Jeep pretty much level with and without the plow by adjusting pressure in shocks.

9. Tim/oh

Tim/oh Junior Member
    from Ohio

I have tram gauges(in collision repair business) I will double check toe this week. Our alignment guys are pretty good so I doubt its off, but you never know. All the front end parts are new or tight, from all the responses I am assuming its the toe or caster. That's where I'll concentrate on.

Thanks again all!

10. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

take off the track bar.
    That's what I did on the rear of my YJ...or is it called a bull bar?
    Anyway I pulled my axle and realigned everything and the problems I had are gone.
    Although my pumpkin is still offset, but not as much, I wonder if that's typical for YJ.

when you raise the jeep it will pull everything to one side when you air up your shocks.
    Just do that when it's with the plow on....just my thoughts

11. theplowmeister

from MA

good god no!!!!!

you cant take the track bar of of a TJ. it is the only thing holding the axle in place (sideways)

12. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic