1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front wheel noise and friction?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by daniel_bergamini, Oct 25, 2003.

1. daniel_bergamini

daniel_bergamini Member

You all probably know me well by now but the saga continues. 1991 Chevy V1500 Suburban 4x4. Within the last 300 miles had done:

Brakes (pads shoes rotors and drivers side brake line)
    Shocks (front - dual and rear)
    Power steering box (and alignment)

and a day later we went over a bump and the wheel started wobbling violently so they replaced:

Drivers side ball joints (upper and lower)

We took it up north this weekend and within 100 miles or so the driver side wheel was squealing on and off. It wasn't very loud or consistent and didn't seem affected by brake activity. It seemed like turning right would maybe make it happen - but I can't quantify this. We drove it on and off for a little bit and the squealing seemed to have gone away. Of the many times I used the brakes twice when releasing the pedal there was a loud click/pop as if something was snapping out of the way.

Now the fun part...

Driving on rt 93s, left hand lane between 65-70mph. Coming around a gentle left hand turn and the truck aggressively tightens the left hand turn for me. Wife freaks out because of the swerve (although I never left the lane or the road) and I make my way carefully to the right and slow down. The truck lets out a nice squeal and does it again, and I pull over. The drivers side wheel and hub are nice and cold but the disk is hot. We drive home limping along every few miles (sometimes 2x a mile) it would suddenly pull to the left.

I decided it would be best to get off the highway and take back roads. I was able to keep speed between 25 and 40 mph and it continued to do it - letting out a squeal. This was fun with the state trooper tailgating me.

So I'm thinking it's either a locked caliper or a blown set of wheel bearings.

1. What was it most likely that almost killed us?
    2. Is it something that should have been noticed in one of the times they had the front end apart?
    3. Should I pick a different mechanic - it seems to take a few trips to get everything done.
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Siezed caliper or collapsed flex hose.I'd do them both just to be safe.Gotta bleed the brakes anyways.
  3. daniel_bergamini

daniel_bergamini Member

Imagine that - it was inner and outer bearings. Mechanic said they were scorched.
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

That's funny,as you said the hub was cool,and the rotor was hot.Suprising as you think the hub would be smoking hot if the wheel bearings were bad.Oh well,at least it's fixed.

PS I'm still trying to find a 91 truck with RWABS to try that module on.I'll let you know as soon as I find one.
  5. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

Daniel, something else to check. I had a 91 GMC suburban 4x4 and the right rear axle tube broke from the center section. The tube moved out about 1/4 inch which caused the backing plate to rub the drum. Upon inspection one of the plug welds popped out that holds the center to the tub, then the others let go. You could look down in and see the axle. We weld the tube 360° and plug welded the holes with no troubles. Just thought I'd mention this. Hope you got her fixed. Rick
  6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Double check the locking hubs too,as if the wheel bearing goes,it usually grinds up the inner hubs too.