1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front wheel "hub cover"- where to get one?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mkwl, Mar 19, 2009.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I am in need of a new front wheel hub cover- not the decorative one on the wheel, but the round metal one on the hub itself (with the bearing inside). My dealer butchered my cap when they were lubeing the bearing (I guess cause grease was coming out of the cover), and it allows water to get in now because they pried at it and it's no longer "water tight".

Anyone know where to get one online?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

If they wrecked it shouldn't they be fixing it...?

3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

He says its okay that it doesn't seal 100% but I don't totally buy that.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The cap is just a dust cover...they didn't even come factory equipped with them until the '99 model year.

The hub bearing assembly is a sealed unit. You don't grease them as preventative maintenance and they're non serviceable anyway so there's no reason to remove the cap. The only reason you would remove it is to gain access to the axle shaft nut if your disassembling the hub or spindle for various reasons. And they're normally a one time use deal and few guys even reinstall them anyway.

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I just did a set on my 03 2wd. Used 4wd hubs and no covers. I'm not too worried about it.