1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front Wheel came loose

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Avitare, Dec 19, 2009.

1. A few nights ago,..while plowing -- slowly

I thought there was a bad u-joint but found a missing lug nut and 4 others backed out
    The right wheel was 5 loose by a half a turn.

btw: Discount Tire stood behind the problem and bought me a new rim (these are 16 inch steel--not stock) and paid to have a shop replace all the lug bolts.

Has anyone had this problem ??

thanks
    tc

2. lotec25

lotec25 Member
    from Florida

I had this happen on a chevy corsica years ago. When i bought the car someone had replaced the wheel studs with shorter ones. So the lugs did not get enough threads in them. I was driving down the road about 40 or so front tire flew off, thank god no one was around. Since then when anyone but me touches the tires, i check the lugs with a torque wrench for specs when I get home.

3. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Most tire places I have went to always have a disclaimer on the invoice saying come back in x amount of miles (usually 50) so we can check the lugs for tightness. That gets them out of issues like that. Glad your place hooked you up though.

4. Thanks for the replys
    Hope to hear from more drivers

The re-tighten notices that I have seen were aimed at aluminum wheels (I had a rear come
    loose 5yrs ago--while plowing). I suppose there is some issue of the aluminum deforming
    when first tightened. But, I had not heard of a steel wheel suffering this problem.

note that I plow with a Bronco and it has IFS. And that may flex the wheel when the
    plow is raised. I know that there is a 300# difference when the plow is up or down.
    My total load for the truck (full fuel, ballast, 2 dogs, and me) is 6800#.
    Just a thought.

I plan to monitor this pretty closely but appreciate all input. Of all the things that could
    go wrong (and there is quite a list) loosing a front wheel with a plow mounted is potentially
    a real seat-stainer.

thanks
    tc
    tc

5. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Have had this problem on the rears of my dually before . A little blue loctite on the studs and no more problem.

6. h8to wrk

h8to wrk Member

It comes down to proper torque specs. They could not have been torqued down properly when they were put on.

Im not saying that Blue loctite would not help however torque specs for wheels are a dry spec. There is no aditional locking compound needed

7. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

Ive had this happen also only on aluminum rims... had new tires put on and i watched the guy torque them, but i never re-tightened them afterward... I guess thats important...

8. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

I have had it happen on a couple of steel wheels ones that either didn't get torqued right or where out of balance.

9. dry torque spec

I wonder if there was any anti-seize on the bolts ??
    That could change the spec and could loosen the lug bolts

good point

I think the loctite is going to be a wise move too.

thanks
    tc

10. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

My guess is that the lugs and bolt threads wear down over time and will not hold even with proper torque..

11. lotec25

lotec25 Member
    from Florida

This is correct, after so many uses the studs are supposed to be replaced. The number of uses is very high though. So for this to happen very often just amazes me.

12. lug torque

a. I miss spoke about the anti-seize could 'loosen' the nuts
    Specs are for dry bolts and a lube will OVER stress the bolts and elongate them more.
    That is: 100 ft #s on a dry bolt is not as stressing or tight as 100ft #s on a lubed bolt --
    because the nut has less friction resistance affecting the torque wrench.

b. very interesting theory about the age of the bolts and/or the nuts.
    worn theads would certainly affect the tension on the fasteners.
    I have new bolts on the wheel that was damaged (2 were trashed) and new nuts
    for the both fronts and more coming for the rears

hard telling how old the nuts are but this is a 17yr old truck

I think we owners of old trucks could at least change the nuts quite reasonably
    wondering if there are nylon nuts available
    btw: I have left the castle nut style and gone back to old style that exposes the ends of
    the nuts. I was not able to tighten the former nuts enough because they bottomed out
    after the wheel holes were damaged

thanks
    tc

13. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i always re torque the lugs after about 20 miles when the were taken off. i always seem to get them a bit tighter before the torque wrench clicks.