1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front Wheel Bearings

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by MYTWOSONS, Jan 3, 2008.

MYTWOSONS Junior Member

This question is for the serious plow guys. How often do you have to replace front wheel bearings on your truck(s) with extensive plow use. I'm trying to gage the typical life expectancy of wheel bearings so I don't have issues with mine. I know there are a lot of factors that determine the life of a wheel bearing, but I'm looking for average, or typical expectancies. Just FYI, and for clarification, I have a new 760LT on a 2005 Chevy Silverado 1/2-ton Crew Cab with Timbrens, and 550# of ballast. I only plow my driveway, and neighbors, but sometimes leave the plow on when I drive to work if we're expecting measureable snow:nod:
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I would not worry about the wheel bearings so much as the Ball-joints.
  3. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

I got 160,000 out of mine before the plow was put on the truck before I had to replace them. With the plow I'm at about 20,000 so far no problem yet. Still the original ball joints. I have the replacements waiting in the garage.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  4. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

I have a 1996 Chev. Tahoe (Wife's Truck) which is the same running gear as the 1/2 ton pickups. We have 170,000+ miles on this truck and have the original everything on the front end. We have a 7.5" Meyer with pro wings that we use on this vehicle occasionally. GM builds their trucks for work:angel:. I really don't think you will have any problems with the truck given the useage you intend. Even if you decide to make a little money with your truck and expand your plowing, You should be just fine with the front end. PS- I also had a 1/2 ton Chev w/IFS and Timbrens and a full-size Meyer Poly pro with pro wings and never had any problems. It all depends on how you treat your equipment. If you are a cowboy:gunsfiring: expect to repair more frequently than if you are a sensible sort of chap.
    Hope this helps, Al:waving:
    PSS My regular plow truck is a 96 GMC 3/4 ton HD with an 860 SpeedWing. 104,000 miles and just last year replaced the left 1/2 shaft. Everything else is still originalwesport

MYTWOSONS Junior Member

Thanks for the information. I was originally told by an individual that they typically had to replace them about every 2 years due to plowing, and driving around with your plow on between storms, and he said on a Chevy it runs about $250.00 per side to do wheel bearings (by a mechanic not doing it yourself).Sounded a little excessive, but wanted to hear from guys that plow a lot more than I do.

6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Once a year.
  7. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Never replaced a one on any of our plow trucks. Some have been plowing for 8 or more years never touched a wheel bearing or ball joint to this day!
  8. truckie36

truckie36 Member

Proper torque of the axle nut is very important on the newer style wheel bearing / hub unit.
  9. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 = 85,000 miles all plowing 50 driveways and pulling trailer all summer, still no replacements. My brother has same truck, never plowed, no towing, bearings fell apart @ 60,000 miles. Makes no sense.
  10. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Just did my passenger side wheel berring yesterday. $309.00 part.

Thought it was my ball joints had a little steering wheel wobble.... nope sheel bearing.

2003 Chevy 2500HD - Duramax - 8.6ft Unimount - 82,500miles
  11. tim096

tim096 Senior Member
    from wny

ck the wheel bearings and ball joints everytime you change the oil. no play no noise no problem. i would think they would last at least 3 years.xysport
  12. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

That's crazy, mine was done at about 81k on the pass. side. Drivers is still good.
  13. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Did my first set not long after hanging the Blizzard 810 on it. Was curious if it was mostly old age or if the plow killed them. Just did the right front, only lasted two years and was broken in two. Now I really think the plow is killing them. In fact I'm sure of it, and I'm not happy about throwing $500 at the front of my truck every two years, especially since I'm not really doing that much plowing. Haven't touched the balljoints yet.
  14. TigersFan

TigersFan Junior Member

01 Sierra K1500 with 210,000 mi and plow every winter,

Drivers side 3 times, (one only lasted 4 months in summer) and passinger side never.

Not a hard job at all.
    Don't know what is expected just letting you know what my experience is.

Great site just found it today on accident. Sure glad I did.
  15. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Learned that their are two wheelbearings available for my truck, the cheapos from A-Zone or the good ones from Timken. My factory ones lasted about 150k, the A-Zone one broke in two in less than 10k, Timken replacement is still fine. So I replaced the broken A-zone one with another Timken, hopefully the front end will be good for a while. Can't remember the name of the cheapo, I think it was a red box though. So don't waste your time trying to save a couple bucks. Not worth it, you need the quality part in this particular instance.
  16. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

good to know! Thanks