1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front vs Rear UTV Plow?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by GeneDoc, Sep 2, 2016.

1. GeneDoc

GeneDoc Junior Member

My UTV is a Mule ProFXT. I have a Kolpin rear blade (https://www.kolpin.com/powersports/rear-blade) with the 3-point system. I am considering a Moose 72" plow for the front. I'm looking to clean rough roads and trails. Obviously no blade will make the trails perfectly clean but I'm looking for just enough that hikers can still use the trails.

My question is if people think the 13" high Kolpin rear blade functions well enough to use in northern Wisconsin snows on an infrequent basis or if I should seriously consider the Moose plow because front plows outperform rear plows. As an aside, I do have a winch on the UTV.

2. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Don't know where your from, auctionsinternational.com Auburn city schools, #8675, Lot # 0005

3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

How much snow are you talking about each time you plow these roads/ trails?
    How rough are these roads/trails are there rock or stumps sticking up?

QUOTE="FredG, post: 2150847, member: 64665"]Don't know where your from, auctionsinternational.com Auburn city schools, #8675, Lot # 0005[/QUOTE]

He's talking aboot Northern Wisconsin Fred...... pay attention.... :hammerhead:

4. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :sleeping:My bad.

5. GeneDoc

GeneDoc Junior Member

The trails/rough roads are fairly rough, though readily traveled by truck or UTV. There aren't stumps, but roots may stick up 2-3". I use a brush mower behind the UTV at 4" across the trails to keep the weeds down, in case that gives you an idea of clearance.

Snow depth can be anywhere from 3"-12". Deeper snows are certainly possible, but rare enough that I'm not too worried about them. The bigger issue would be the time between trips out to clear the trails. I would say a common average is in the 6-9" range that I'd be clearing.

The kicker will be clearing the end of the driveway when the plow blocks the entrance, though I'm guessing that's a problem shared by all.

I think the bottom line is I'm guessing the front plow will be better, but I don't know if that's nonsense. If the rear plow would be fine, I could put the money towards a crossbow. Thumbs Up

6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

The obstructions are going to be problems for any type of blade if you hope to get a clean scrape to the ground.
    You'd almost be better off keeping a front plow raise aboot 4-5" and tow a snow groomer type implement that would compact what snow is left behind.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I'd stick with the back plow.

Or get a real front plow, like a Boss.