1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front U-Joints

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by RONK, Jan 30, 2016.

1. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

Reading the topic about ball joints,while I never had to replace them in my 2005 Dodge 2500(sold with 60,000 mi).I did however have an ongoing problem with the front u-joints having to be replaced going on four times,while I currently have a GMC 3500,I wouldn't rule out buying another Dodge.Is there a fix for the u-joint,similar to high quality aftermarket ball joint?Have any of the front end issues been fixed in the newer 2014+ Dodges/thanks as always.
  2. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

I can't say on the ball joints but u joints are larger and the whole front axle looks to be more stout.
  3. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

I've got a '13 Ram 3/4 ton. Been plowing with it for three years, and have had no front end issues yet. If/when I do, I'll replace my parts with whatever Moog parts are available for my truck.
  4. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

I had an 08,diesel, and it had the front axle ujoints replaced 3 times in two years on warranty, the truck was never beat up on, but any time ive helped anyone replace those big ujoints its usually always because one cap leaks in some water and takes out one cap. I had a 93 that i plowed with for 4 years, it had 150K km on it with original ujoints, i changed them out just because of age. So i dont think there is anything wrong with the joints them self but more of a problem with water migration
  5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I had the issues of u-joints with my last two chevy's finally the warranties ran out and I took it to a drive shaft shop. told them the problem and they built a monster and fixed the improper angles. Never had problems since and honestly it was no more expensive than having the dealership do just the u-joints. very easy fix.