1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front u-joints

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by CARDOCTOR, Nov 1, 2003.

1. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

since dodge doesnt put grease fittings
    in the front axle u-joints
    can they be drilled ,lubed and capped afterwards

hate to replace the joints down the road if i dont have to

cardoctor:help:

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

I wouldn't recommend drilling them.If you want,there are greasable joints available,but they don't seem to last as long as the original sealed units.The sealed joints do a much better job at keeping the grease in,and the dirt and crap out.

I'd just run them until they start to go,and replace them with the OEM Spicer sealed units.You should get 5-6 years out of them with no maintenance.My truck is over 6 years old,and has 400,000 K with the oriignals,still going strong.

3. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Wyldman, thics is a little off topic but does your truck really have 400,000 mi? I know your in Canada, is that metric? just wondering.:waving:

4. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

those canucks use "k" for kilometers where we use it for 'thousand'

5. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

If you drill/tap the U-joint you are sure to get metal filings internally and prematurely wear things even faster. Some may not even have internal grease channels and end up wasting your time. I have noticed that even the aftermarket grease-ables don't last as long as many OEM. Depends on the brand I guess but factory originals do last long, just like factory exgaust and brake parts vs. aftermarket so called "OEM". I plan to stick with the Mopar part # unless a certain part is better replaced with something made by another co. that is truly superior.

If you want to make your front u-joints last, keep the dust seals clean by avoiding deep mud/water. Submersing them isn't good for the wallet!

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Don't buy the joints from Mopar,you'll get hosed.Spicer is the OEM supplier to DC,and they make an excellent joint.Any good parts store or 4WD shop should be able to order them for you if needed.They are still pricey,compared to the cheap parts store u-joints,but less than half of the price from DC.

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

No,it's not 400,000 miles,it's in kilometers.418,132 to be exact as of this morning. :D

That would be about 261,000 miles.It's just getting broken in now.

8. Roger Dodger

from nw Pa.

Oh, so it's Spicer behind the manufacturing, eh? I know Mopar brand parts are terribly overpriced. The problem most often is finding true OEM parts and not end up with brands that in reality, falsely meet OEM specs.

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

I think the problem with the aftermarket meeting OEM specs,is that they are very vague.OEM specs for a u-joint are probably just that it's the right size,not about strength,sealing or durability.

10. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

Mopar

U joints are expensive . I was charged $ 100 ea at the stealers parts counter . Autozone has some for $35 ea. but when they where matched up side to side the Mopar u joints won .

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

Re: Mopar

Yep,the parts store crap just doesn't compare,does it.Track down the Spicer stuff and compare it,you'll find it exactly the same.

12. Roger Dodger

from nw Pa.

Spicer has always been a trustworthy name. Aren't they affiliated with Dana? It would make sense!

13. wyldman

wyldman Member

Yes they are affiliated with Dana.I believe Dana owns Spicer.

14. johngus

johngus Senior Member

When I had my Dodge,I got mine from randy's ring and pinion.search the web,there are a few different companys selling the Spicers.The only problem I had when replacing mine was the axle seals started leaking shortly after replacing the joints.The seals don't like to be disturbed,you may want to replace them at the same time.

15. wyldman

wyldman Member

Your right on that one,the seals are very fragile.Replacing them is a BIGGG job.The diff must come out.