1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front suspension

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by FCLC, Nov 6, 2003.

1. FCLC

FCLC Junior Member

I have a '02 Ram diesel, it is a lwb and a 5 speed. What is the biggest plow I can put on this truck and keep the front suspension stock.

What would I have to do to the front suspension if I wanted to go to a bigger plow.

I don't know much about these plows but so far I'm leaning towards the Blizzard 810 or a Boss V.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Depending on what springs you have,you may need to upgrade them to carry a Blizzard or a big V.Check the spring codes,on the tags on each spring,both sides.

Add a set of Timbrens too,they will help it handle the weight better.

Other than that,the front end will be fine.

3. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

We are running a Blizzard 810 on a Reg. Cab 94 3/4 ton with the Cummins. We added the 47 and 48 spring combo, and now it carries the plow just great. It drops about 3/4 of an inch, and rides really nice with the plow on it. Before it would drop about an inch and a half at least, and the back would pop way up. You can read about the whole suspension mods in a thread just a little ways down the dodge forum. good Luck
    :salute:

4. FCLC

FCLC Junior Member

Wyldman, is it the blue tag wrapped around the spring. If so then the drivers side is #046 and the passenger is #039.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Yep,that's it.Those springs aren't bad,but if you want to go with a big plow,and have it carry it well and handle well,I'd recommend the 047\048 combo from the dealer parts department.

6. FCLC

FCLC Junior Member

Would those springs (stock) surfice with a set of timbrenswith a heavy plow.

Do you have a guesstimate in U.S. currency what they(springs) cost.

Is it a big deal to change the springs myself.

Thanks for the info Wyldman.

7. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

New springs cost about 250 for the pair. Here is the link to the thread that talks about all sorts of suspension mods, and I also included some pics of the spring install that I did. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11316

If it isn't a real link, just highlight it, copy and past into your address line at the top.

8. FCLC

FCLC Junior Member

Well now it looks like I may end up waiting till next season to plow. I've called the 2 neasrest manufacture's in my area and they tell me that while they will put on the plow (Western V) they really didn't recomend it for my truck becasue its a Diesel Quad cab.

They both said I could put the heaviest springs I could get on and the timbrens but if I was to have the plow on in anticipation of a snow and had to go run errands with the plow on prior to the snow, any large bumps in the road, etc., would be very hard on the trucks suspension.

I really wanted to see what Blizzard had to say about the 810 (like the set up better) being put on a diesel but the closest dealer to me is a good hour and a half away. I e-mailed Blizzard to see if any dealers have started selling their plow in St. Louis thinking maybe they had not updated their for a while but I have not heard back from them yet.

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

Do a search,and read some posts.That front end will be just fine with a spring upgrade and some Timbrens.

I use a 9 ft pro plow with very heavy wings,for a total of 12 ft.In 420,000 Km i've replaced the track bar twice,and have a little play in a right front ball joint.

10. FCLC

FCLC Junior Member

I just spoke with Curt a Blizzard (nice guy) and he said he did'nt see a problem as long as I did like most of you said.

So I think I'm going to go with the Blizzard.

Thanks for the advice.