1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front suspension on a tractor

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by lawntec, Jul 6, 2016.

1. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

Does anyone have a review on this setup? My current Kubota M110 does not have it, and I can feel every bump in the road. Anyone with experience with 'blower service' knows, just how rough a tractor can be. The slightest dip in the road can catapult the 2000lbs snowblower in the air...just to wait for imminent kaboom when it lands on the pins again....scary.

I am just now wondering about my next machine. Suspension on the front seems like it would help...but is also seems like it may hinder.

Does anyone have experience in this area?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think anyone makes a tractor with suspension. That would limit the weight it could carry.

3. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

There are tractors with front suspension.

On the 6 series from deere it's an accumulator system with the solid axle and 2 hydraulic cylinders that act as the shocks. You can actually adjust the pressure at what they drop and what not to make it soft and more hard. You can lock them stiff as well. I've used one with a large H360 loader and grapple bucket and there was no hindrance in lifting.
    The 7R and 8R series has ILS which is like a chevy front end with 2 control arms and 2 very large cylinders that adjust to load and towing load. When I have the grain cart on the tractor when it feels it's full of corn it actually changes the front suspension to ride nicer across the field. It will adjust on the fly for road travel as well.
    I know CNH and kubota have similar systems available just don't know much about them. Any questions I can answer just ask. YouTube ILS john deere and check it out.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Trying to remember, but there is a "ride control" for the 3 point, same concept with an accumulator that will soften the blow of the blower.

I'd like to know the cost, it would be nice.

5. Neige

Neige Sponsor

We install an accumulator on the three point hydraulic system. This really helps, and protects you against those serious shocks when hitting a bump in the road.
    I will get some pictures later today and post them.

6. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

JCB makes a tractor with suspension.

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I have a long travel suspension on mine with 4 inches added to for stability. In the rear I have an extended swingarm and a fox shock.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Suspension will be your best friend. Get cab suspension if you can also.

9. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

New Holland T5 has both these options....I assume you are speaking from experience? I mean...I understand the value of a front suspension, but part of me feels like it may make the snowblower bounce more....because it is creating a teeter totter effect.

10. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

Cab suspension is super comfortable and takes out a lot of bumps.

The front suspension isn't like a car to create the teeter totter effect. It's not that fast or responsive. It's very different and difficult to explain.

11. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

But worth the money? right?

12. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

Yes. 100% no question.

Resale is higher, longevity is better on attachments and implements, and your back and kidneys will thank you.

13. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

S
    Well, it turns out that there isn't a single New Holland T5 in Canada with the front suspension. Wow, I am disappointed. I guess I should be looking back to Kubota. Deere is 50% higher price than Kubota.

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Are you comparing apples to apples because generally they're 10% more when comparing similar spec'd tractors.