1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front suspension help

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by cbr9joe, Oct 5, 2011.

1. cbr9joe

cbr9joe Junior Member
    from ohio

Looking at putting something on the front suspension on my truck to help with sagging due to my V plow. Anyone have suggestions? I know Timbren makes a "bump stop" spring helper but I was thinking more of an airbag system if one exist for the front.

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

A lot of guys use supercoils with good results, I personally like spacers.

3. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

I have Timbrens on my 2500. Is yours a 1500 or 2500?

kevlars

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No one I'm aware off makes a front air bag for Dodge Pick ups. You could possibly spec out a set of Monroe Max-Air front air shocks.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Spacers won't increase the effective spring rate or reduce the sag when you lift the blade.

6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

7. cbr9joe

cbr9joe Junior Member
    from ohio

Yes it's a 2500 diesel quad cab.

8. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

I feel that they reduce the sag on my truck. The Timbrens hit the top of the axle tube before the springs are bottomed out. So, in effect, I think that they do reduce the sag. I know that my truck doesn't drop much when I raise the plow. And, my plow weighs about 800 pounds.

kevlars

9. plowguy43

Never said they'd increase the spring rate. They do however hold the plow/truck 2" (or more depending on the spacer) higher than it was previously. Its kinda like cranking the tbars, you aren't increasing spring rate, you are just changing the point that they are bottoming out at.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Airlift nor Firestone make a front spring assist kit.

Monroe doesn't list the application but as the shocks look like they might interchange with Ford rears with a little modification (7/19 lower bushing on the shock vs 9/16 bolt on the vehicle.) Stroke and length are pretty close as I remember, but you need to spec your shock and go to the specifications chart on the Max-Air to match them.

11. plowguy43

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Twelve shocks won't help hold the plow up

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I disagree a dozen standard motion control damper might help:rolleyes: and I know either a spring assist or air shock will.:mechanic:

14. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

I put supercoils on mine and only drops about a half inch when I raise my blade now.

15. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Bags are nice, but the cold and ice will take there toll. Super coils are IMO the best soution for the CTD 2500 3500 V blade set ups.

16. cbr9joe

cbr9joe Junior Member
    from ohio

Thank you for the information. I think I'm going with the SuperCoils. Where is a good place to get them?

17. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

I am wanting to also add some different springs and was considering a KORE leveling kit as they have progressive springs. Did you do the install yourself and was it easy?

18. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

My skills are reserved for fixing homes, not machines!

19. plowguy43

Yes its very simple if you have any mechanical skills at all you can pull it off.

20. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

Sounds good. Anyone know who has the best price on them? Also will they had any front end hight, I am wanting to also level it out a bit.