1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front supension questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Alpha Property, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

Hello all,
    So i got a 2000 chev 1500 Z71 and a boss 7.5 standard steel. The truck has a add a leaf in the rear that gives me about 4 inches of lift when empty, which is fine when towing a trailer full of mowers all day. But now my front end sag's like a champ and then when I put the plow on its super hurting. I'm looking for the best and cheapest way to get a set of HD bar's in and level the truck out.
    if i add timbrins with the stock bars i won't get any lift, If i add 2500 bar's and purple keys how much lift could be expected? and should this hold the weight or would timbrins also be needed? or do I have to spend $600 on air struts to do what I need to do?

2. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

i was going to say timbrens. Why wont they work on your truck?
    I just got an 06 chevy2500hd last year and had timbrens put on for about$125. What a difference. I also had the torsion bars cranked up. good luck

3. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

we had a chevy that was the same year with a 7.5 boss super duty on it, just cranked up the torsion bars and salt for weight in the back and we were fine. try the torsion bars

4. Alpha Property

t bars are at max crank already and with everything empty the truck sits 3 inches lower in the front than the back. Its because of the 2500 leafs in the rear that it sits so high in the back

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Lead filled rear bumper....

6. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

Are you planning on putting a salt spreader in the back of the truck?

7. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

wow i did not realize that. how does it look when you have 1500lbs in the bed?

8. RamirezOrchards

RamirezOrchards Member
    from CT

It's called a ballast... depending on your plow setup, 500 to 1000lbs of sand bags should do the trick.

9. Alpha Property

good luck with the ballast..... i have a 500lb dump insert in the truck thats comming out for the winter and even the dump box and a full load of grass its still not sitting level, so i'll be in the 1500-2000lb point to get it to drop level, and we are dealing with a 1500 1/2 ton truck.... sooo legaly 1000lbs max no?

10. gtstang462002

Take the CGVWR and subtract it from the GVWR to get what it is legally allowed to carry(including passengers). You say you have a helper spring added to that back you can probably squeeze an extra 350-500lbs over the rear axle. Your challenge there is making sure that you can stop safely.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Uhhh.......

12. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

So your adding 2500 suspension components and "helpers" to your truck so it can handle heavier loads it wasn't designed for (or is legally able to handle). How are your brakes, bearings, or frame holding up to all of this?

13. gtstang462002

The frame on on the 1500 is the same as their 2500 counterparts, the rear diff is lighter in nature but should handle the extra weight ok. The brakes will wear out faster, but stop none the less. It will however take longer to stop a larger load and the operator needs to be aware of this. I wouldn't stamp my seal of approval on it, but that doesn't mean it can not be done.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If the lighter diff will handle the weight OK, why do they bother to put larger diffs in the bigger trucks?

15. gtstang462002

Bigger trucks are capable of carrying more than the extra 500 that this guy might load into his 1/2 ton.

This has to be one of the most hostile forums that I have ever had the displeasure of joining.

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Huh. I have found this forum to be frequented by many knowledgeable people. Experts at snow removal, ice management, bidding, vehicle repair, etc. Often have a few laughs in the process.....

17. Division

Division Member

Take caution in over beefing your 1500! it may handle the expansions but your gonna eat gaurdrail while plowing!

Take it from my experience!

Keep your plow set up and switch to a poly blade.... the blade only is like 900$

18. mule585

mule585 Member

go with the keys and timbrins the keys will give you 2-4in of lift depending on how u set it up. i have the 2500 springs in my 98 1500 to and 6 sandbags in the back works for me

19. Alpha Property

polly is heavier that steel boss but thanks for the tip. Thats why its a standard duty boss plow not a super duty,
    most of you guys are missing my point completely

20. Alpha Property

I'm going to try the keys I think, but I think my bar's may be worn out, so I don't want to spend $150 on keys to find out I need annother $300 worth of bars and $150 for different keys to make the new bars work