1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front strobes not working

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by John O., Jul 13, 2014.

1. John O.

John O. Member

I just purchased a 2006 F-350 it has strobe lights in the front headlights and the rear reverse lights. They both turn on from one of the four up fitter switches. The front strobes turn on and work properly every time the front however are hit or miss. Sometimes the fronts will work other times they will not. Any ideas or suggestions of where to start?
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Try switching the wires at the power box. Fronts and rears and see what happens.
  3. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

it could be bad tubes, or bad connectors. very rarely do the boxes go bad.
  4. John O.

John O. Member

it has me scratching my head because when they do turn on they work fine and can be left on for a long time. It is just a gamble each time i turn them on if they will start up the first time.
  5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

What kind of power pack?
  6. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

Do you happen to notice the weather conditions when they don't work? It sounds like a connection. If it is damp out and moisture get's in the connection, the system will fault and won't allow them to fire. If the air is dry, there is no problem and they will work.

Try unplugging the lights, make sure the connections are dry and coat the plug and wires in dielectric grease.
  7. John O.

John O. Member

just found the power pack it was hidden well. "tomar" is what is on the power pack. They will randomly not work but the front only. as for weather condtions there has been no rain lately no moisture and I park in my shop.
  8. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

switch wires front to rear and see if the problem follows the switch. if it switches to the rear, the problem is in the box. if it stays in the front it is in the wires or tubes.
  9. John O.

John O. Member

are those decent strobes tomar? or do they typically have these issues.
  10. magilly00

magilly00 Junior Member
    from Indiana

Any update on the electrical issue?
  11. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Moisture in the connection....
  12. John O.

John O. Member

no good news. I do not feel it is a moisture issue truck stays in garage and we have had no rain lately in chicago. I checked the connections and everything is in tack......bad strobe box?
  13. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Did you try switching them?
  14. nwilson1211

nwilson1211 Junior Member

I had a similar problem on my rears in my last plow truck. Turns out that the connectors were corroded and subsequently would intermittently short causing them to flash sometimes and sometimes not. I ended up cutting the connectors off and soldiering each wire and covering with shrink tubing.

If it turns out to be the box, I have a bunch of Federal Signal strobe boxes & would sell you one cheap if you need. Good luck.