1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front springs, where are they

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PRO PROPERTY CARE, Jun 3, 2003.

1. ok,,, im a pretty good home mechanic.
    I have rebuilt a classic car , from the ground up....
    my new truck, 2003 chevy 2500 HD. with the snow prep package
    says heavy duty front springs,,,, oh ya,, ok ,, where the heck are
    the front srpings.
    I crawled under the truck, and there are no front springs, only
    shocks..........am I missing something....

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

torsion bars?
    from control arm to cross member

3. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

I think the statement should say heavy duty torsion bars instead of springs, because the late model GM trucks do not have springs. I you look under the truck you should see 2 bars that run parallel to the frame up to the right and left side of the front end.
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Damn,don't tell me they forgot the springs !! ;)

You don't and shouldn't have any,your truck uses torsion bars,which are spring steel tubes which twist.They mount into the lower control arm pivot area,and extend back under the truck,and mount to the frame with mount.There is an adjuster at the mount,so you can turn them up a bit,if it sags too much.

I would get a set of Timbrens,and put them on before you mount the plow,it will help keep the front end up when plowing,which saves wear and tear on the front end.

PS,did you get my e-mail ? Your reply e-mail from plowsite is incorrect,and it got returned,so I sent it to your previous address I had on file.Just curious if it got through,as there were a bunch of good plow suppliers listed in it as requested.If it didn't,let me know,and I'll resend it again.
  5. thanks guys,,,, damn, i thaought i was missing springs,,,lol....
    i feel real stupid now....
    hey wyldman i got your email and just replied to you....
    thnaks for the info.
    I was talking to the boss dealer , near niagra falls and he recommended the timberens also, around 300 for them installed.
    still debateing the plow , v or not.... may have to settle for straight plow this time....
    thanks for the help ,,,,,
    Iwont bother the gm dealer tomorrow about my front springs missing.....:D
  6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Just got your reply.

The Timbrens aren't at all hard to install,and have great instructions,so you could save a few $$$ and install yourself.I could probably get you them at cost,but the shipping down your way would probably negate the difference.If you have any more questions,give me a call at the shop 9-5.I'll drop you the number,or it's on my website.We can talk plows and stuff. :D
  7. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

PRO.............Ya know you can adjust the torsion
    bars to lift the front end up some. Easy to do too.
    I have punch marks on the frame and torsion bar
    bolt heads. Winter time I crank it up 4 turns and
    in summer I just turn them back down to my
    reference punch marks when I put the plow away
    for summer.
    So far no alignment or tire problems...............
    Those Timbrens are pretty good too especially
    hauling those big V plows around !

If ya need instructions to adjust just post.......
    EASY and free!

BTW: I THINK only the 2wds have ft. springs
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2003
  8. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

9. thanks sonjaab...good link....
    i printed it off for future reference.....