1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front spring weight

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by willwynne, Nov 20, 2004.

1. willwynne

willwynne Junior Member

Hello, I have 2000 F250 supercab with the 5.4v8 and am having problems finding someone to install a plow. The front axle weight is 4000. The only dealer that I have found is a Boss Dealer who said it should not be a problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to the front end to help me get a plow.

Thanks,
    Will

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Your front end will be fine with just about any plow on it. What I would do is install the plow you want and see how it sits and rides. If it drops lower than you want than you can install a set of Timbrens. Very easy task. Takes about an hour.

3. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

timbrens or springs

plowmeister
    I have a 01 ram 2500 I've got too much weight in the rear w/salt. My biggest load was 2.2 yards. My question to you is would i be better off putting 2 new leafs in the rear ($275) and/or new coils in the front $(250) or doing the timbrens. Would timbrens be enough. I would bring it to the shop because I'm not really good at mechanics. I really would like the ram3500 but cant swing it this year..Thanks for your help..
    Jack

4. Plow Meister

First, I would say you have WAY too much salt in your bed. 2.2 yards can weigh as much as 4,500 pounds. Then add in the weight of the spreader, assuming you have a V box, and that can total about 5,500 pounds. I wouldn't carry more than 1.5 yards MAX in my trucks. As far as the springs in the rear, adding more leafs aren't going to change the fact your rear end isn't rated to carry that much weight to begin with. If you were to carry 1.5 yards of salt with a spreader I would simply install add-a-leafs. For the front end... go for the timbrens. It is cheaper, it won't affect the ride quality as much as the larger coils, and it is faster and easier to install.

5. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

Thanks Chris
    I just pm you .i didnt realize the rear would be wrong . The guy at the spring shop didnt mention that. Then again hes just looking for a sale. I have the 1.5, it can hold a lil bit more. Thanks again for your help
    JM

6. Plow Meister

Don't get me wrong. I have seen people do some pretty stupid things. In fact, I once hauled 2 pallets of Quickrete in the back of my truck at one time. Man, was that stupid. Your truck will travel with that much weight. It may even travel for a long time. Just keep in mind that the more you abuse your truck the faster it will turn on you and crap out at the most important time.

The guy at the spring shop probably didn't think about all the factors at that time. Everyone makes mistakes. No worries. I'm sure you will be fine. Just remember that you have a pick-up truck and not a big rig. Just because it "fits" in the bed doesn't mean it's not too heavy.