1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front shocks

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by raptorej, Oct 15, 2005.

1. raptorej

raptorej Junior Member

dose anybody have gabriel air shocks in the front of there truck and if so how do they work

2. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

i have an 88 f250 and wondered if air shocks wouldnt be the ticket for mine as well. the manufacturers generally dont recommend air shocks on the front for obvious liability reasons...but i cant help but think it would be the most cost effective method to stiffen the front suspension with the plow on while not affecting the ride quality with the plow off. in my situation, the truck will rarely (if ever) be driven during the summer months.. surely someone on this site has done this and could cough up a part number for a pair of air shocks for our application.

3. LCSODIVER

LCSODIVER Junior Member

I am looking in to them as well!

I have looked at the air bag kits.... but it seems that they don't make one for the front. And I don't want Timbrens, to much loss of ride quality on my daily driver. So I too am thinking that these http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/showCustom-0/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2006168/c-10101/Nty-1/p-2006168/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10101/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=gabriel would be the best bet.

Does anyone have them? I installed a set on a friends Ford, but only on the rear, they did make a huge difference! And hey, with the inflation system you can air down your tires, and air them back up later without the trip home/service station. :p

4. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

IMHO i wouldn't trust them to handle the extra weight, or the force of the plow pushin the front end down. What vehicle is this for? For coil sprung i would stick with air bags, only 60 bucks when i bought a set 2yrs ago. For leaf spring front end i would get an over load spring or many places sell the load helpers that run around a 100 bucks. I have these installed on the rear and love them as they don't come into effect unless there is extra weight.