1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front shocks

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by tnafab, Nov 11, 2015.

1. tnafab

tnafab Junior Member

I just put one of our old boss 7'6" plows on a chev 1/2t 1998 as a spare or back up truck just incase one of our other trucks goes down. Im thinking of cranking up the torsion bars???? Any suggestion how much i should go? Whatsize and type of shocks are you guys running in the front end? I also have a set of timbrens sitting around should i throw them in or just do shocks and crank it up??

THanks guys!!!!! Let it Snow
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Shocks do nothing to support a load.
    Turn up the bars a few turns then see how the truck squats, repeat as necessary.
    Fyi....lift the front of the truck to turn the bars.
  3. coke813

coke813 Member

In my old 98, I turned the torsion bars just to lift the front end about 1" higher than stock. That's all I needed to keep it riding level. Of course I also had like 400# of ballast in the back of the bed.
    To get the 1" lift I think I only had to turn the bolts a couple of rotations. Its not a whole lot, so turn them a little bit and check out the truck's stance. I did not modify any other suspension components, and I had no complaints with the performance.
  4. plowin boy

plowin boy Member

absolutely put the timbrens on. I will never have another truck without them. Makes for a rougher ride when the plow isn't on but well worth it imo.