1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front Shocks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Len Pippin, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Len Pippin

Len Pippin Junior Member

I am putting a 8" plow on my 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 and I have seen many of you suggesting putting timbrens on plow trucks.
    My question is : I have already installed Rancho 9000 shocks because I carry a slide-in camper, will they eliminate the need for timbrens?
    When they are set at 9 the front end seems to be able to take alot of weight without sagging (at the expense of a stiff ride).
    Any feedback appreciated.
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Welcome to Plowsite.

Shocks do not carry any weight or prevent sagging.The springs hold the truck up,and the shocks stop it from bouncing.

Cranking up the compression will slow the rate at which the suspension compresses,but it won't stop it.

Check your spring codes (white tags on the front springs),and post what you have.You may need to upgrade the front springs.

Timbrens will also be a big help.They will help with the camper too,and eliminate a lot of the bucking and sway associated with a heavy slide in camper.
  3. Len Pippin

Len Pippin Junior Member

Thanks for the info, I'll check on the springs, I am guessing that the springs are okay because I ordered the truck with Plow Prep Package.
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

If you have the plow prep,you should have a 039 pass and a 046 drivers side.They will do OK with the Timbrens added.
  5. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

You can easily put on the 8' plow if you have the plow prep package. Don't worry abouth any modifications.
  6. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I have 2 dodges, one is a 98 2500 with a 8ft fisher with back drag blade and the other is a 01 3500 with a 8.5 fisher with a back drag blade. Both trucks are fact set up's and hold the plows great (even with the extra weight 100 lbs of the back drag-blades) The only trucks that need timbrens are 1/2 tons and all chevy's.
  7. wyldman

wyldman Member

Wrong....the handling is greatly improved with the Timbrens,even on a one ton Dodge,even with the plow prep.Keeps the front end up at proper ride height,stops wallowing and bottoming over bumps,and save wear and tear on the front end.Can't go wrong with the Timbrens.
  8. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Wyldman, There is alway's room for improvement but I just feel my 3/4 and 1 ton handles great with out them. I have had timbrens in the past on two my trucks of witched they helped alot carring the weight. One thing I don't like about them , is that you felt every bump in the road with the plows off.
  9. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

similar to SLplow (Scott) I to have a 97 2500 ram with a 8' Fisher and a 7 backplow . The #500 weight of the backplow balances the weight nicely giving a rather smooth ride with no bottoming . The weight is the weight . Timbrens or not the steering components will be subjected to accelerated wear . But thats what these trucks are built for