1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front sag with plow on

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by lynchgmc07, Feb 24, 2008.

1. lynchgmc07

lynchgmc07 Junior Member
    from Mass

Just bought a 2007 GMC regular cab 8' bed new body stlye and put a SS 8' Fisher MM2 on and the hole set up is awesome. The only thing that bothers me is that when the plow is on the front sags. Not sure what to do first plow truck. Want to fix the problem but don't want to kill the nice ride the truck has, do alot of driving without the plow on. What is the best thing to do to fix the problem?

2. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

did you put any ballast in the bed of the truck, you need a min. of like 650lbs

3. lynchgmc07

lynchgmc07 Junior Member
    from Mass

Didn't put anything in the bed. What's the best to put in the bed?

4. Indy

Indy Senior Member

the cure for front end sag and recovery for plowing on a Chevy is TIMBRENS, end of story:salute:ussmileyflag

Try a set, you won't plow without them!!

5. lynchgmc07

lynchgmc07 Junior Member
    from Mass

Timbrens?

Did a little research on them but not sure the hole story on them. Which are the best to get? How much is it going to coast? Will it mess up the ride when the plow is not on? New at this so any help will help. Thanks alot.

6. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

put anything with weight in the back closest to the tailgate and that will help.ive heard different stories on how the truck rides with tims without the plow on.

7. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I wouldn't worry much about the ride quality. I have put a set on my truck ('03 2500HD) and cranked the T-bars up a few turns. The truck doesn't move more than a half inch with the plow raised now. The ride wasn't compromised either. The cost of the Timbrens were $160 and about 30 mins to install. You'll love it. Oh, and if you tighten the torsion bars, you may need an alignment. GOOD LUCK! wesport

8. lynchgmc07

lynchgmc07 Junior Member
    from Mass

If you do the Timbrens, how much do you have to crank the T-bars? And do you have to crank the T-bars or can you leave them?

9. TTA89

TTA89 Member

I didn't touch the torsion bars in my truck, just added Timbrens and put 800lbs of Sand Tubs against the tailgate. There is no ride quality difference what so ever with the plow on or off.

10. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have timbrens on my 04 hd and it rides great. used to drop 1.5" and not drops not even a quarter of an inch. I have salt and ballast in back. rides the same with the plow off also. There is only one set that is made for your truck. Get them and you will be happy.ussmileyflag

11. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

What he said!
    I have an 05 w/timbrens, 600lbs in the back and the T-bars cranked 4 turns. Holds an 8'6" plow no problem and the ride quality is fine w/o the plow.

BTW, you should be able to turn up the t-bars 4 turns w/o an alignment

Timbrens are a must have upgrade.

-Greg

12. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I had my torsion bars turned prior to even having installed the plow. I did this to level things out and to be able to fit the 285's on it. After installing the plow, I installed the Timbrens. I don't care what the ride quality is like since I have a 3/4 ton anyway. It looks better and handles the plow perfectly with the setup I have.

13. Chevy 2500 hd

Chevy 2500 hd Member

http://www.truckspring.com/timbren_285.html
    here order them here cause my parents went to the local spring place and they want $300 for just the fronts they work great with my 07 crew cab with the duramax with an 8' fisher x blade also have a 70 gal liquid transfer tank in the back that acts as ballast

14. farmboy52787

farmboy52787 Senior Member

Why do you need to drive with the plow on? If your going to plow something then i can understand that but as soon as the storm is done i take mine right off, no sense of keeping that load on the truck if your not going to use it. Its ridiculous the amount of people who leave there plows on all season and then look at the problems they have later on down the road. My advice is just to take it off after your done with it, also get Timbrens. And dont leave your plow out for the taking either, put it inside somewhere because there were a few plows stolen here in Maine.

15. lynchgmc07

lynchgmc07 Junior Member
    from Mass

I never ride around with my plow on when i don't have to. I take it off as soon as i am done. I am just talking about when i have to drive around plowing different drives is when i have the sag that i don't like. I will probably end up getting the timbrens. Anyway on locking them up if you have to leave it outside for a little bit?

16. Chevy 2500 hd

Chevy 2500 hd Member

you could put a lock in the handle that retracks the pins on the part where the jack leg handle locks in or just keep something another vehicle or something infront of it

17. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I didnt use Timbrens. I put between 6-800 pounds in the bed and i turned the t bars 6 times. Hardly any sag, the truck drops around an inch with the plow up. Good luck