1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front right CV joint grinding 90 chevy 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BIGRED1, Dec 11, 2005.

1. BIGRED1

BIGRED1 Member

Hey guys try this one...
    Front right Cv joint (or actually the shaft that goes into it) is rattling and making noise. It happened while plowing so I had my guy disengage th 4wd and finish in 2wd. These are all new CV joints ( 1 year old) any ideas on the problem or the cost to fix??

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

I would check the u-joints in the front drive shaft first, its right under the driver but harder to place where the sound is coming from.
  3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Should'nt you know the cost if you just replaced them a year ago, and if not why not call a shop......They'll give you a price.
  4. Caleb55

Caleb55 Member

Is it doing while you turn or all the time. If it is clicking and grinding when you turn then it's deffinetly the cv joint. IF it's doint it all the time, it very well could be something with the front driveshaft.
  5. topdog

topdog Member
    from indiana

what about if you only hear a "sound" when turning with your plow on?

i have a 94 chevy 2500 with an 8ft western ultra mount plow.
    i had it installed brand new about a month ago used it first time last week, and i could hear the noise when turning.

6. BIGRED1

BIGRED1 Member

1st- When I had them done before the shop lumped it in with a transmission /transfer case job
    2- All the u joints are good
    3- Only witnessed the noise when the truck was driving forwrd at slightly faster than idle. Noise definitely came from front passenger side tire area

Maybe this will narrow it down some,

Keep the ideas coming guys, thanks again, sooner or later I'll figure it out (with a lil help)
  7. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

topdog, it sounds like your tires may be rubbing. do you have stock tires or something bigger?
  8. Caleb55

Caleb55 Member

Topdog my guess would be that your cv joint is going out.
  9. topdog

topdog Member
    from indiana

not orginial rims and tires....tire size is lt 265/75/16
    no noises without the plow on it steering is tight and straight.

i also had new rotors, and brakes installed about 3 weeks ago on the front. nothing else was noticed wrong at the time by the mechanic. doesn't mean he didn't miss something. just didn't know if that might help.

i am gonna call the place i got my plow installed today to see what they recommend.

thanks for the advice.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
  10. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

the reason i ask topdog, is because i have 285's on my truck and with the weight of the plow they sometimes rub when turning.