1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front/Rear Axle Ratio 1975 K10

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by kenfoshee, May 1, 2003.

1. kenfoshee

kenfoshee Junior Member
    from Alabama

Is there a way to check to see if the front & rear axles have the same ratio? When I drive for a short distance in 4wd, I can't shift from 4wd back to 2wd. Once I let the truck roll back a bit then it will shift out. Do not want to brake anything. I have been told to remove the housing on the front and rear drives and count the teeth but I rather not have to do that. Is shifting out of 4wd back 2wd common for this truck?
    Thanks..

2. TomatoRedGMC

TomatoRedGMC Member

:confused: someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think the ratios make a difference when shifting out of 4WD, its in the Transfer Case. :confused:

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

If your ratios were off,it would cause the driveline to bind up in 4WD.They are actually off from the factory,to help the vehicle steer better.Example,if the rear was a 3.08,then the front would be a 3.07.

If they were really off,it would bind up so bad you wouldn't be able to drive it in 4WD.You can check gear ratios by marking the driveshaft,and counting how many revolutions it takes to turn the axle shafts exactly one revolution.This number is your gear ratio.

I would tend to think you have another problem,like stagger,or differences in the OD of the tires.All tires are different,and some slightly larger than others.You can measure them with a tape measure to see.This can cause a slight bind,which can make it hard to get out of gear.Make sure all 4 tires are pretty much evenly worn,and have similar OD's

There are also a lot of other things to check out.Look at worn transfer case linkages,worn mounts,internal case damage,etc,etc