1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front plate box

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by berners237, Nov 9, 2009.

1. berners237

berners237 Junior Member

I have a 2009 chevy silverado and have just had a fisher 8' Hd plow installed. When I had it installed the front license plate was removed. When I asked about this they told me that the plow frame hits the bottom of the plastic box the licence plate sits in. Does anyone have a solution to where I should put my license plate when the plow is on?
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Under the seat.
  3. berners237

berners237 Junior Member

I did not know if anyone has run into this problem already
  4. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

hung on plow frame for duration of plowing season. Do not remove plow for duration.
  5. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

x2 on "under the seat." Even if the plate was still on and didn't hit the plow, it would not be visible with the plow on.

Actually, I would put it back on and see for myself. A lot of times, plow dealers go overkill when they install plows and do not "customize" for the truck that it's going on. For example, the Blizzard dealer that outfitted my 2006 Silverado did not take the time or have the knowledge to use the existing hole in the firewall for the harness/controls, didn't use the "plow prep" headlight harness, or use longer bolts in the frame so I could keep my tow hooks in. Try putting it back on and test it - it may just fit...
  6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Take off the plastic box mount and mount it directly to the bumper if you are really worried about it being on there and you take your plow off after each storm
  7. ETMegabyte

ETMegabyte Member

In NH, we're required to display a front plate. I assume that it doesn't matter if it's visible with the plow frame on, since I will only put the plow on when it's actually snowing, and when it's snowing, having a front plate is the least of the cops' worries. But, my understanding is that it's required to be there... I do know that they pulled me over in my car just after i bought it for lack of a front plate. They let me go immediately when they realized I had a paper plate on the back, and didn't HAVE a front plate yet...

I just bought a truck that doesn't have the mount for the front plate, so I'm going to have to figure something out when I do get around to registering it... My truck was originally owned by someone in CT, so I'm guessing there the front plate was optional, but in NH it's not...

So, though "under the seat" is where I'd prefer it to be, it's not an available option for me :(
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  8. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I'd put it back on and see how it fits. I have seen a few '09's with the front plate intact, with an 8' Fisher on them- give it a shot.
  9. berners237

berners237 Junior Member

I have since tried to mount the plow with the box on and it can mount but I can not raise the plow up. Looks like I will have to take the box off and remount the plate by it self. Thank you for all of the help.
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I bet you have a new sticker from the dealer? It's technically illegal. I'm sure they would rather provide you with a plate mount than have you call the state police.
  11. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I'm not trying to be difficult, but it is a front plate! Who cares. Just leave it off and go to work. Yes its illegal, but so are aftermarket exhaust systems, window tints, pushing snow into city streets, drinking while plowing! Everyone does it.
  12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Do me a favor, speak for yourself.
  13. SullivanSeptic

Back it down a notch. It was a joke! Don't worry, I didn't literally mean everyone.
  14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You said everyone.
  15. SullivanSeptic

I know I did. Sorry. I don't drink while I plow either. I was just havin some fun. No problems.

I'm just venting cause I'm trying to get everything done before the snow flies.
  16. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I would hope no one drinks while plowing (except coffee or Mt Dew). Gives us all a bad name. As for the front license, mine lived under the front seat for the past year in CT until I got screws for it. No issues. I think it is required, but not one of those things they are looking for too much. Heres another question-with the plow on, no one can see the front plate, and with the spreader on there, no one can see the rear plate either! Makes it cheaper to go through EZ pass when it's like that, but what do you do to stay legal if you have a spreader? Are you required to mount it to the spreader and light it too? Again, never had an issue, just curious.
  17. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

Ok, here's a dumb question, where is the 'plow prep' headlight harness? I have an 06 2500HD.
  18. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

On the OBS trucks up to '07.5, there is a 8 cavity terminal behind each headlight assembly that allowed you to tap into DRL, turn signal, and parking lights without having to Scotchlock into the wires. I'll bet 1% of plow dealers know these plugs exist, and probably 1% of those actually care to use them.

Not sure if/where the terminals are on the 07.5+ models, but the documentation I've seen indicates it's not as easy because everything is controlled from the BCM. You might have to add some relays or something.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009