1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front mount tractor blower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sven1277, Mar 11, 2015.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I'm planning on a front mount blower for my B series Kubota. We use the machine at an HOA to compliment a truck with a plow. Its perfect for the many tight places on the property. Currently the tractor has a 60" front blade and a 72" rear blade. The front blower will be great for the larger snow events. Here's my situation. The blower will be a Kubota bx2750, so 50" wide. That works well on the pavement. The property has a continuous 48" wide sidewalk. Currently I have the sidewalk crew do it with a walk behind blower. I was wondering if I could maybe add a narrower cutting edge to blower, lifting the sidewalls off the ground a little and allowing this tractor to do the sidewalks too. Is this a silly idea? Are there any other tricks to make it narrower? Thanks

2. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Question 1 how wide is the tractor? If it is wider then 48 inches it won't work. Question 2 are there areas where the plantings or grass is higher then the sidewalks? If they are I don't think it will work. Question 3 are there any objects beside the sidewalk on either side that your 72 inch back blade may get caught on. If you got by my first three questions, then you may be able to clamp on some type of cutting edge that raises the blower a couple of inches. I would consider getting a 48 inch blower and just switching them out when needed. If you do set something up please let us know, it is not a silly idea.:drinkup:

3. johnnyusa

johnnyusa Member
    from ct

i just started using a front mount snowblower at condo sites and it was a very good move much faster and a way better job but i like the john deere and kubota 4wd front mount mowers with heated cabs that have rear wheel steering and you can put a 48 inch blower or a 60 inch blower. blades and brooms on them and
    they are alot more maneuverable

4. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

If you are talking about a B2650 or B3350, then depending on your tire option, you will be wider than your blower for the most part. Book spec I believe was about 53.5" for industrial tires, turf tires are actually closer to 59-60" (personal experience), but apparently they have a narrow ag tire option (not the regular ag tires) that I have been told gets you to 47" machine width.

As Neige indicated, unless you can get your machine significantly under your blower size, then you are going to have problems once your snowbanks get built up a bit.

Another consideration is where the skid shoes are located - are they on the outer wings of the blower, or are then set inside them. The cutting edge is one thing, but if you want to run on the shoes, you may have to change their position. If the sidewalks are raised slightly above the grass, then there should be no issues. But if not, or if you cannot maintain an exact position with the tractor in the centre of the sidewalk at all times, you may have some issues.

5. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

The tractor is 46" wide. There aren't any plantings to sorry about. And no concerns qith rhw back blade width

6. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I had a similar situation and the only advice I can give you is that for the money you spend on the tractor to help on sidewalks you can get alot of manual labour for and you cant have alot of walk behind blowers and things and they can be more manuverable and do somewhat of a better job in almost the same time.

we blew an engine on a sidewalk tractor this year and we sent the same guy out with a walk behind blower and a helper to shovel and they were done faster then the tractor and did a better job. they were then able to set up and prep for the toolcat which sped its route up because he didnt have to get out and shovel. $20 000 tractor parked. $2000 in blowers and $3000 in extra labour and we were done earlier and I would say did a better job.

7. johnnyusa

johnnyusa Member
    from ct

been doin this for yrs. use the tractor. Guy will be there every storm with heated. Cab consistently. I took over a condo site that took 6 hrs to do with 10 men and no tractor almost every storm and this year with John Deere and snow blower it now gets done in 2 -21/2 hrs tops so u do the math

8. johnnyusa

johnnyusa Member
    from ct

Not to mention we take same machine and one driver and drive across from condos into neighborhood with no trailer and he does 23 residential drives in an hr and a half

9. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I like the sound of that

10. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

make a set of shoes for it that are wide enough to keep them on the sidewalk, might need to shorten the cutting edge too....

11. NickSnow&Mow

NickSnow&Mow Senior Member

I have the super skinny ags on our 3032e. It doesn't do any sidewalks but it will fit on them. Clintar also runs skinny ags on the 3039r's that they run. I think the ones I have are specially made for driving between rows in a field and might not be an official JD option I think they're after market, you can also put the rims in backwards (inside-out) on some tractors which will give you a narrower stance.