1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front Mount Mowers for Snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Rat_Power_78, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

Who is using a front mount (Groundsmaster style) for doing sidewalks? What brand/size? What are your likes/dislikes? Are they as maneuverable as they seem like they would be? I am currently using a Troy-Bilt rider with a blower and various walk-behinds and of course shovels. Like most others, I am looking to be more efficient with sidewalks. Stupid rider is not very maneuverable, and makes lots of places take longer than with a smaller blower. Example: A couple of our sites involve clearing most of a block worth of public sidewalks. The current rider cannot make the turn at the corner without going off the end of the walk and turning in the street. Seems like a Groundsmaster-style unit would be able to make a sharper turn being rear steer. Maybe I'm thinking completely wrong and should look into a small skid loader. I'm hoping someone on here has had similar experiences and can give me some ideas. Id prefer not to buy a machine then figure out it wont do what I need it to.

2. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

I picked up a 3520 this season with snow blower prior to that I have been using Deere F series with blades. No Truck and Trailer is needed as the sites are fairly close so machine just drives site to site. Really only need 1 person to work with tractor driver depending on the snow. That machine will also clean the curb lines of the walks to set up for the big Tractor that does the parking lot. Walks get done allot faster now. The sidewalk driver will get out and help shovel too what he cant get at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcU9oTwzdF0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc9adlV5r9M

3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Identical setup to myn, works awesome eh?

4. Grassman09

Yea I'm glad I jumped on it. Its a mini version of my big deere. Air seat radio ac heat beacon, mini stack too. This is a 3520. 20 25km road speed not bad. The design for the arm that lifts the blower is not the best. Could use a 2nd Cylinder on opposite side as it snapped at the heim joint already luckily we could blast it with weld. Its a cast iron piece and looks like you would have to order part of the tractor side hitch.

I took the drop salter off it and prob gonna sell it. Do you know what button in the cab you press to activate the anti stall feature? So far we haven't stalled it.

image (3).jpg

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Should be to the left of your dash

6. kcdas

kcdas Junior Member

Depends on how wide your sidewalks are that you are clearing. We use a Walker MDD with a rotary broom or snowblower for narrow sidewalks. Use our JD 2305 for wider sidewalks. Both work great and both have their advantages.

7. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Press and hold the button that looks like a dash on the left side of the gauges, it'll say something like load on and that's what you want

8. Rat_Power_78

9. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

10. Rat_Power_78

Thanks. Read that a while ago-it was one of the things that made me start thinking that would be the way to go. Have you run it with any other attachments? Does the plow push it around at all in deeper snow?

11. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

The only thing that stops it are breakdowns.

I've run a blower, mowing deck, sweeper and obviously the plow on it. My favorite attachment is the plow...less moving parts, scrapes down just like a shovel.

12. Rat_Power_78

Do you have a lot of breakdowns with it?

13. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

It's been pretty reliable but I have had to stick some parts on it. I don't think the folks at JD envisioned that the machine would be working in sub-0 temps regularly while exposed to all different types of deicing material.

14. Grassman09

Thanks.

Thanks. wondred what that button was for. Priced out a new one at the dealer last week. They almost had to bust out the defibrillator. Yikes expensive.

My 1145 has spend almost all winter at the Deere dealer. They have replaced the pinion seal in the back like 6 times .I Do not think they know what they are doing as it starts to leak shortly after I start using it. Also have a issue with it starting. They replaced the Ignition switch put new battery in worked for a bit. Went to grab it last week it started for me but had a flat tire and they were gonna fix it. Dealer couldn't get it to fire up. Put a new PTO switch in it this time. Rear seal is leaking again. I had hopes I could use it to cut with this summer possibly.

My 935 wouldn't stay running recently kept sucking air. One of the tank pick up tubes was rotted out. I'll have to pull the tanks over summer and clean them and install new pick up on right tank.

If you can keep them out of the salt I agree less problems with them.

15. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Grassman - Isn't that 3520 way too big for sidewalks? It just looks way too wide but maybe it's smaller than I realize.

I just bought a 2210 two weeks ago and aside from the cab height it looks like it'll be a nice machine for doing walks.