1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front mount blower for lawn tractor or walk behind blower?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by IMAGE, Nov 21, 2007.

1. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Which do you think would be a better setup for a blower. It would be used for sidewalks and customers that must have thier drives blown not plowed.

Ariens 824/1027 LE deluxe

OR

Put a front mounted blower on my 2 yr old 27hp Craftsman lawn tractor. The blower is 42'' and about $900, so its right in line or a little cheaper then the Ariens, and alot wider.

Thanks, Steve

2. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

opps, I see it's a 46'' for my tractor. and mine is a 27 hp Garden tractor, not lawn tractor.

So what would you get? A walk behind snow blower or a snow blower attachment for a lawn tractor? Either one can be easily hauled in the back of my truck.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  3. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i would suggest lawn tractor attachment

4. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

How do you plan to move the piece of equipment from job to job? I have a front mount snowblower on my Massey Ferguson GC2300, it works awesome, but I have to pull it with a trailer, thus covering it with salt and road grime, and sometimes making it difficult to find a place to park on the side of the road in front of a customers' house, especially when the snow banks are high, or I'm on a narrow street, or the driveways are really close together and I have to block the neighbors' drive.......:dizzy:

5. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Your MF is quite a bit bigger then my Craftsman. I can haul mine in my truck bed, just drive it right up into the back of my 2500hd on ATV ramps. Might have to back in with the blower on the front, but no big deal. I have chains and wheel weights, loading and unloading should be pretty easy. I will have to leave the tailgate down, but I can strap the mower in.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  6. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

This is the only pic I can find of it. That is actually my same tractor also, I just dont have the cab(or want it)

[​IMG]

7. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

blown away

one thought !i have personally used a tractor mounted snow blower for about 20 year's they move a great amount of snow but be aware the snow has to go some ware .there is a fare amount of maintenance on the tractor and blower ,and any debris that you pick up in the auger leave's the chute like a missile gravel and whatever ,right through window's car door's etc.if you are not careful which way the chute is pointed it's like a guided missile . i scored three window's it would throw it about 30 to 40 feet .

8. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

I have used a 48" blower on a Craftsman lawn tractor for 12 years. 2 words for you: It Sucks. Unless you are on perfectly flat areas, it will not cut it. A 2wd garden tractor simply can't manuever properly in the slick conditions. I have wish for a walk behind for the last 11 years. Last year the tractor finally broke the front axle and the only replacement that craftsman has for it is not an exact replacement and is VERY weak, The blower will never be going back on that tractor.

Make it easy on yourself--get a walk behind.
    Also, unless you have very long ramps, or a very low bed, I doubt you will be able to get it on your truck.

9. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Thanks for the input. I have been sitting here with my finger on the "add to cart button" and keep thinking maybe not. I thought about getting it into the truck and needing longer ramps, but not a big deal, I can make them in a few minutes (thank you welding skills and furnished shop wesport ). But it is good to hear from someone that had one on a craftsman type mower. I have been thinking that it would be hard to get into tight areas? So maybe the walk behind is best, more trips back and forth, but usuable in more places, and a better compliment to a truck plow.

So looking through the forums I see alot of ppl say to get the single stage over the 2 stage, but never give a model number. What model and brand is the one to go with a 1 stager? (not ruling out the Ariens yet though, just looking at options)