1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front left howling noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by buckhigh, Nov 13, 2008.

1. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

When I make a sharp turn while I'm braking to a stop I hear a howling noise. It doesnt make the noise when I do it to the right? Is that normal for Toyo all-terrain tires or is something ready to go out on my front left suspension? Any ideas would be much appreciated.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

go find a stright road with little traffic. then drive like your drunk. what i mean is go left then right in your lane and see if it makes the sound.

this is loading the wheel bearing to max pressure. if you turn left and growls/or sounds like metel roller skates on concrete then its 95% of the time a left wheel bearing. or if right turn makes noise then right wheel bearing bad.

once you have pin pointed the corner then jack up the wheel with the lower control arm to keep the weight the same as if on ground. grab the top and bottom of tire and try to tip it in or out / up or down. this will check for any major play you will have. not all the time will you have play. just depends on how bad the bearing is.

then spin the tire by hand. you might hear the sound or fell it. all this will verify a bad wheel bearing.

3. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

Going 35mph and I sway back and forth I hear no noise. Its only when I steer sharp to the left coming almost to a stop. Its that same kind of noise you hear going 70mph on the highway with monster truck tires. I'm thinking its just the tread on the tires, just don't know why it doesn't make it when I do the same going right and it seems to get louder over time? She goes in for an alignment next week, so I'll have them check it out.

4. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

was just told my speed sensor could going bad?

5. saynow

saynow Junior Member

I have something very similar happening to my 2000 gmc 2500 crew. When I'm just taking off turning left I can hear a rubbing noise that I can slightly feel in the steering wheel. Was told it could be a dust boot cover.

6. mcginner

mcginner Junior Member

Check your mud flaps. They may look like they clear the wheel but make sure they are secured to the fender.

7. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Could be your mother-in-law stuck up there :nod: Howling at the moon.

8. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

ha ha funny...to bad i'm not married!

9. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Better get married then you will know what the sound is...

10. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

...And luckily you like winter so, there is always the Cold Icy shoulder and frigged conversations. Yup, the screeching sound that never ever leaves. :D