1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front Leafs

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Sharpm, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Sharpm

Sharpm Junior Member

I was just wondering why ford on there new F-250 and F-350 went to coil front spring? I was just wondering i personally love the leafs under the front to hold up a plow. I just wanted to know if you can get them put on for a opinion or not?:salute:
  2. RSK

RSK Senior Member

i don't know if you can get the leafs for the front but i know the new ford trucks with the coil springs can hold a lot on the front. this guy i know has a new 250 and he has a 8 1/2 ft western on it you ask me thats to big for a 250 but he thinks he is all ways right so i don't say anything to him :waving: the truck holds a lot i know that
  3. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Im certain you cant get leafs under a new superduty. You would have to buy a used truck to get leafs in the front. The coils in the front have a tighter turning radius than leafs. The front end on superdutys w/ coils is rated at 6000 pounds. Leafs are rated at 5200 pounds. Those coils can hold alot of weight. Superdutys w/ coils in the front are rated 1200 pounds higher than GMs front ends.
  4. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

The new front end on the ford is totally different than the old leaf setup. It is a solid axel w/ radius arms and coils. There are after market companys that offer a 4 link setup. The off road guys have been putting coils on the SD's for years so it must be good !!! I am really pretty happy with the way mine drives. It rides alot smoother than the leafs did on my 03. As far as carrying weight mine carries my blizzard just fine ( 860 sw 812lbs. + undercarriage ). Everything about the new front end is built really tough, they have come a long ways from the twin I-beam radius arm frontend. The 07 brochure says " this compact design eliminates interleaf friction and helps reduce axle windup " Not sure exactly what that means, but I know that in dry dusty conditons my leafs on my 03 would squeak. I too was unsure about it, but I am happy so far so time will tell !!!
  5. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

8 1/2?? i'm holding a 9 straight and then i'm thinkinga bout getting a second 9' V blade..

an 8 1/2 barely covers the wheel tracks....
  6. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Sharp--if you have not driven one with coils yet please don't knock it. The turn radius is unbeliveable. My 06 550 turns like a gokart compared to my 04 550. I think it steers alittle easier also. I was skeptical myself until I drove it.
    Magnatrac--axlewindup is found in leafspring trucks because the leaf springs do 2 jobs.1) They hold up the front of the truck.2) they hold the axle into position L-R and F-R. The leafs can flex all different ways. With coils the track bars and radius arms position the axle, the coils only have to hold thefront up. So when you romp the loud pedal the axle can't twist around like on a leaf truck. The tighter steering comes from the radius bars sitting further in board than leafs do and there isn't anything stiking out the front for the tires to hit. HAve you driven a Ford lately:D :D
  7. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Boss550- thanks for the explination makes sense now. I did notice that the track bar and sway bar are alot beefier than the ones on my old truck. My new truck does also turn much better! The curb to curb turning radius on your 06 550 is 42.3'. Thats pretty impresive for a truck that size !!! Thanks again!!!
  8. RSK

RSK Senior Member

the truck is a f250 not a f350
    a ford 250 will come with a 7 1/2 ft on them
  9. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

the coil spring superduties ride pretty good, especially for a 3/4 ton or 1 ton, i have not ridden in a new 450 or 550 yet. the suspension design was first used back in the 60's and 70's.
  10. Plow37

Plow37 Junior Member

Front coil conversion

Has anyone ever converted a pre 05 SD from leafs to coil springs? can it be done without lifting the truck? I have an 04 F350 PSD and I am running 325 50 22 Toyo open country AT's in the summer but they rub on the leaf springs, I met a guy running the same setup on an 05 F350 PSD with no rubbing because he has coils. Can I fix my problem without lifting the truck and still run this setup.
  11. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

A cheaper way may be to switch to a wheel with a different offset.