1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front leaf springs

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by EWSplow, Feb 16, 2016.

1. EWSplow

EWSplow Senior Member

The leaf springs on my 2000 F250 are getting old and tired. I am going to replace them, but I'm not sure what with.
    I think I'm going to stay with 2 leaf, rather than going to 3 leaf.
    I'm wondering what spring code (V,W,X,etc) most of you have been running.
    I think X codes are going to be too stiff. Any input?

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Gas or Diesel and what plow?

3. EWSplow

EWSplow Senior Member

5.4 gas engine. Boss 8.2 V-plow.

4. EWSplow

EWSplow Senior Member

Steel plow, not poly

5. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I have factory X springs. Not stiff at all. It's a truck.

6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You could probably be good without the "X" springs but as TJS said its a truck and will never ride like a GM......

7. EWSplow

EWSplow Senior Member

I'm really not all that concerned about the ride. It's an older work truck primarily used for plowing. If you have factory X codes, you must have a factory plow package?

8. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

while you are at it, why not get a 3rd spring? - known as a "add-a-leaf" and I've also heard them referred to as leveling kits. it will ride a bit stiffer, but it's a leaf sprung truck, so it's gonna ride stiff no matter what.

9. EWSplow

EWSplow Senior Member

If I was going to just add a leaf, I'd probably go with 3. Since mine are tired, I'm going to replace them.
    There's quite a bit of discussion on Ford diesel forums. The best info I see is stick with 2 leaf. Maybe I'm wrong, which is why I started this thread.

10. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

go with the X code spring, you will not regret it. especially when you have the plow on.

11. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

every leaf sprung ford pickup that I've ever plowed with has been given an add-a-leaf - regardless of the condition of the existing factory 2 leaf springs. it holds the plow much better and the work normally done by 2 leafs is now spread out over 3. it's not a requirement, but in my opinion, a very worthwhile modification at a very low cost.

what are some of the reasons people are against a 3rd leaf? if it's an off road truck I would see how spring articulation may suffer, but for a plow/work truck as you describe, I've have not experienced any downsides - other than feeling the bumps a bit more....

12. EWSplow

EWSplow Senior Member

Thanks for all the input.
    My local spring shop quoted almost double of what I've found online. When They gave me the cost, I thought it was per pair, but I was sadly mistaken.
    SD truck springs has good pricing, but when I add in the shipping, they are around $50 less each side.

13. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Yes it is.

14. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Factory 3 springs here. Doesn't ride to bad for a truck

15. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

ATS Springs out of Pennsylvania.
    call junior, he will take good care of you.
    http://www.atssprings.com/

16. rwilimo

rwilimo Member

I have factory X codes in my 04 5.4l CC SB with a Western 8.5' straight blade, it holds the weight very well