1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front leaf cracked

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by JAYINH, Feb 26, 2013.

1. JAYINH

JAYINH Member

So during this last storm i had a front leaf ( the top leaf of the two) crack in half in my 2003 dually. the dealer cant get one till friday and its going to snow 6-12" before then. do you think it will be ok to plow during this storm if i go easy? i think i plowed for 4 hrs after it cracked before i realized what happened. thanks

2. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

Yes, as long as the other leaf goes from bolt to bolt hose clamp the broken leaf to the other and plow on.

3. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

find a local spring shop they will have it in stock and be much cheaper if u are in nh donavan spring

4. JAYINH

JAYINH Member

i will do the hose clamp today. I did not even think of donovan, my buddy said to try them too. also thinking of doing a stiffer spring due to the major drop when the plow is lifted, any thoughts? I have seen a threads on the x spring code from the dealer, should i get those instead.

5. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Get a third leaf in the pack. Was much nicer on my 04 dump truck. Well worth it.

6. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

spring shop will be half the cost of dealer. and go with the 6000 lb spring.

7. JAYINH

JAYINH Member

are they 6k per spring ? dealer wanted 167 each, i did not think that was horrible but now am thinking i want a stiffer spring than the stock code(forget what i have in now). I have been reading up and am going to make some calls today to find either x codes or if donovan has a stiff spring in stock.

8. bswalks

bswalks Member

You can shop all you want, but talk to Donavan. They'll know what need & can make it if they don't have it on hand. Pricing good too.
    I've also bought rear springs from school street auto in Lowell. It's been years, but they had new rear springs in stock & the price was crazy good.

9. JAYINH

JAYINH Member

well I just got a quote from Donovan for 297 dollars each ,that's a 3 layer spring .the next 1 down was 260 something dollars .

the local Ford dealer wants 167 eachfor a code V Springs code X are 180 dollars ,the guys at Donovan are crazy

10. Morrissey snow removal

is fords price per pak or spring i get all my stuff at spring rebuilders in worc ma front spring pak 3 leaf f350 $225 per side

11. JAYINH

JAYINH Member

Ford's price is per side ,the same as Donovan direct replacement with both layers

12. JAYINH

JAYINH Member

I just call Donovan back to confirm the quote I got this morning ,I don't know what happened but there must have been a communication error because the new quote is 174 dollars per pack and that's a 2630 pounds Springs vs 2230 pounds spring that's currently in the truck .this is the route I will go

13. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

The only parts that I get at a dealer are the parts I can't get anyplace else.

14. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Its a lot more work if you have a Fisher minute mount frame on the truck. To get the front spring bolt out, you have to remove the whole plow frame. Plan on cutting some of those bolts. The spring bolts are highly torque but usually not seized up.

I went that route when I did my pickup and put in Ford X codes, because I wanted to keep a good but slightly stiffer ride on an x-cab pickup.

On my F350 dump, I had a spring shop add a leaf to the front pack, which lifted the front and stiffened it. It would be rated higher then the x code now. Between the heavy Fisher and the leaf vac that hangs on it, I have been happy with this choice.

15. tjctransport

6,000 total. 3,000 lbs per spring. that is also known as the X code spring used on the F-350 with snow plow package.

16. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

17. Morrissey snow removal

we might have a good used set ill check

18. JAYINH

JAYINH Member

so i ended up getting the springs from donovan with new hardware. there must have been i communication issue when i first called this morning regarding the price. the total was under 400 with hardware and i was told these are exactly like the xcode leaf, thats perfect for what i need compared to the vcode sagging leafs in the truck now. I just have to make it thru the current storm and drop it off friday to the shop. getting the EGR delete done at the same time. thanks to all who posted. jay

19. JAYINH

JAYINH Member

wow, i did not realize how bad the factory springs realy were....the truck rides high and sooo smooth now.

also had the EGR delete done, does this add a bit more power? the turbo was floating on top of the motor, bolts must have backed out or were never installed after the last time it came off. I am trying to figure is the added power is the turbo being bolted downd or the addition of the delete kit? also theres a lot more cab noise, is this to be expected with the delete and a 4" exhaust? thanks

20. tjctransport

if the turbo was not bolted down, that would most likely give you a big pre turbo leak effecting power.