1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front IFS 96 K2500 opinion needed

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by abbert55, Feb 26, 2008.

1. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

OK here it is. I have a 96 K2500 HD with the 9.2 diff. I want to add a posi unit but I was told that the front driveshaft would be turning all the time. A LOCKRITE unit does not slip under load but if the front axle (I believe the right side) is disconnected, IE 2WD, would the limited slip give enough to not cause wear prematurely. Or am I all wet here? And would the shaft turn all the time?
    Any help appreciated, Thanx, Al:waving:

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There isn't too many options out there for the 9.2 diff but it basically boils down to a LockRite/No Slip or an Eaton E-locker or an ARB air locker which are both driver selectable true lockers that act like an open diff when unlocked. So any of these diffs would act just like the factory open diff when disengaged.

The LockRite/No Slip is a mechanical non driver selectable style locker, and is also the only one that would make every components in the front spin all the time, including the diff, ring & pinion and front drive shaft. Also very evil handling in the front on a plow equipped truck on a snow covered road.

Ran one in the front of a plow truck before and not having the capability to manually unlock it was a real problem. Makes the truck very unpredictable on slippery roads.

The extra money spent on the E-Locker or ARB selectable locker is money well spent indead. Gives you the best of both worlds, traction when you need it and normal handling when you dont. :nod:

3. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

Thanx B&B, I know all about the ill handling.... used to have a 62 Scout AWD. That should give my age away:blush2: I don't want the front shaft spinning all the time, nor the increased liability of a squirrely truck so I'll have to spend the BIG $$$$$. Again, thanx for the reply:waving:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your willing to spend the extra $ on a selectable locker then I'd recommend the E-locker over the ARB. One wire activation.. simple. No air compressor needed. :)