Snow Plowing Forum banner

Front hubs?

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Fordman2011 
#1 ·
Question for all you wrenchers???.I talked to a fella today that has been having problems with his vaccum operated front locking hubs ( 2003 F-350 SD 7.3 Diesel) and wanting to change over to manual WARN locking hubs. Is this a big deal to do and are the WARN hubs the best ones to buy? He said he talked to a shop today and they had no idea of what has to be done to change them over.I told him I would see if anyone here has done this conversion and what is involved in doing it.Thanks in advance. OH yeah he does have both headlites working!! DAMN!:confused::salute:

#5 ·
I just put Mile Markers on. Easy to put in.The only trouble I had was getting one of the old ford hubs off. It was dang near welded in with corrosion and had to be drilled busted piece by piece. Other than that manual hubs take maybe 15 minutes per side or less to put in and need no special tools..

The problem with just using the ford manual option is they will not dissengage if you have a vaccum leak. You will always be turning your front diff parts with your axles.I was told that can end up doing damage to your gears.

By the way, I like my mile markers and they are quite a bit less than warns.Stainless steel parts just not the lifetime warranty.

#6 ·
The auto locking hubs are best used in the lock position during the winter. They will be fine left that way, and the front diff should function just fine. The auto feature is for spur of the moment use, like when you get stuck in the mud in the Sumer or something. I leave mine locked in the winter, and just use the ESOF switch on the dash when I Ned 4wd.

#7 ·
maxslights;1549951 said:
The auto locking hubs are best used in the lock position during the winter. They will be fine left that way, and the front diff should function just fine. The auto feature is for spur of the moment use, like when you get stuck in the mud in the Sumer or something. I leave mine locked in the winter, and just use the ESOF switch on the dash when I Ned 4wd.
Indeed.But,he said his friend was having trouble with the vaccum system. If the vaccum system is not working ,your hubs will be engaged no matter what you have then turned to.That is no good.The solution is either pay alot to restore the factory system or buy aftermarkets and have it be manual.

#9 ·
I also thought the same thing that you need vacuum to lock them. I Kinda like the ford design, the convenience of not getting out to have 4wd, but if something goes wrong you can get out and lock them in. I also lock mine in for the winter. No matter what brand hubs you have if you already have esof hubs if the transfer case motor fails you are still outta luck.

#10 ·
DONT GET WARN!!!!!! They will not work on 99-04 250,350's. Warn just fully refunded me for 2 pairs because there is a design flaw and Warn said they will never work. They have not figured out why they wont work. This is right from Warn customer service. Call them before you buy is you want, they have an internal service memo about it.

#11 ·
wow thats good to kno, i just replaced one of my hubs with a ford hub alittle over 300 for one, i was thinking of switching to warn hubs, but not any more

#12 ·
GreenLeafPA;1553768 said:
DONT GET WARN!!!!!! They will not work on 99-04 250,350's. Warn just fully refunded me for 2 pairs because there is a design flaw and Warn said they will never work. They have not figured out why they wont work. This is right from Warn customer service. Call them before you buy is you want, they have an internal service memo about it.
Really? That makes sense I had a pair fail on me last year, I put in a new set a few weeks ago and theyve been fine. I wonder what the reason is

#13 ·
Yea my 2 pair went in the same month. we were thinkin it was another front end part bustin the hubs then i called warn and they said they wont work. i was more pissed about the 2 times they failed that i needed a tow to get me unstuck on a cell tower access road. Iam back with stock ford lockers now and 100%.

#14 ·
maxslights;1552239 said:
I believe they do not lock in the auto position if the vacuum lines do not work. They only lock in the "locked" position. And I'm not 100% sure about this. This is what I've read and heard.
correct.

If you have a leak, they won't work in the AUTO position.

when their in LOCK, the wheels are locked to the front driveline equipment, spinning everything. Switching the dash to 4wd will then actuate the transfer case, putting you in 4wd. Whether you have a vac leak or not.

#15 ·
I replaced my auto locking hubs with warn on my 99 superduty. And you need to plug the vacuum line. When you buy the warn hubs it comes with detailed instructions about plugging the vacuum line. Really easy to switch. When I first did the swap it took me about 15 minutes per side

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.