1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front hub bearing ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ticki2, Apr 1, 2008.

1. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

A few months back replaced a front hub bearing on the '02 3500. Bought it at the local parts house . They listed the same PN for 2500HD and 3500 DRW . Thought I'd plan ahead and did some shopping online. Came up with a good price on a timken but it shows a different PN for 2500HD and 3500 DRW. Ordered the one for 3500 and compared the old and new , they are slightly different. Looking at the side that slides toward the spindle the new one has rounded lip where it would butt the spindle seat , the old one is slightly indented. Not sure if it's just a design change or the wrong part . The timken # on the box is correct for the listing . Input would be appreciated , thanks

2. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Here are some pictures

hub bearing 028.jpg

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As long as you ordered it for a DRW truck it should be correct. The difference is simply a slight design change/difference as you suspect.

And just a FYI: SRW and DRW front hub units ARE NOT THE SAME.

4. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

I found that out today , half the parts houses only list one PN for both applications. According to the Timken spec sheet I downloaded here is the difference. 2500HD # SP580303--flange dia =8.19 and flange offset = 2.68 . 3500 DRW # SP58309--flange dia = 7.85 and the flange offset = 2.29.

Now the thing is the one that I already replaced came from one of those that only had one listing so I'm thinking it's for a 2500HD. The other point of interest is that the one for the 3500 is always cheaper than the 2500HD , and both seem to fit.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They both do seem to fit but only one is correct. If you see in your specs the offsets are different, which moves the rotor in relation to the caliper bracket/brakes. What happen's is the additional offset cause's the caliper to move to far inboard as the pads wear, which will allow the piston to extend too far out of the caliper bore, usually causing a leak.

I have ran into this situation more than once when the incorrect hub is used.

6. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

B&B , you wouldn't believe how many blank stares I got today when I brought the subject up , nice to know there's someone out there that realizes there is a difference.

So it looks like I need to pull the one I replaced off again and checkit for dimensions .

Do you think the same problem would exist with the brakes using the 3500 bearing on the 2500HD ? Two reasons I ask , one the 3500 is cheaper than a 2500 and I have both and it would be nice to have a spare that fit both.

7. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

B&B I bet that's not what he wanted to hear but It's not unusual for a Discount auto parts to mess up.

If it were I, I would be pulling the other hub to see if you got the 3500 hub one last time. If they take the cores you have a small shot you have the right one.

8. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

ticki2- you in southern NH?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

To many book/computer readers out there that don't know how, or dont care to use a micrometer. All they know is to spit the book/screen at ya.

If your not positive which one it is, yes I would check it. Hopefully you got the correct one at the time.

IIRC, when you go the other way the rotor will rub on the caliper bracket.

10. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Sometimes ignorance is bliss , now I have 2 projects instead of one. I'll let you all know what I find , all is working good so maybe I'll be lucky---NOT

Yaz , I'm in central NH , next to Waterville Valley

PS These were not discount houses , Napa and Sanels

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  11. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Too bad because I'm way south, on the border actually. I was just wondering to offer up a hand in your project.

Good luck, hope it goes smooth.

12. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Yaz , appreciate the thought , it would be kind of a long commute , 90+ miles. I may be able to get the measurements with just the wheel off , we'll see . Have to wait some , wintery mix coming tomrrow , don't you love that term , means they haven't got a clue . We still have 2 or 3 ft . you must be down to bare ground .

13. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

It's all gone after yesterdays rain.. Some in piles, but my grass is bare.

14. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

OK , tackled the front wheel bearing again this morning and here's what I found. The one I put on ( SKF BR930416) is the same dimensions as the one that came off and the new one which is a Timken SP580309 , all for the 1 ton DRW. The SKF BR930416 from Napa and Sanels is listed for 2500 HD and 3500 DRW and SRW , same part number. Timken has 2 listings , SP580309 for 1 ton DRW and SP580304 for 2500HD . GM has AC Delco FW287 for 1 ton DRW and FW 289 for 2500HD. Sanels was $100 cheaper than Napa , same part and manuf. The new Timken I purchaced online was a $100 cheaper than Sanels . All three that I've delt with have Timken bearings in the hub , go figure

The difference according to Timken

1 ton flange dia = 7.85 " flange offset = 2.29"
    3/4 ton flange dia = 8.19" flange offset = 2.68"

Can anyone verify the dimensions for the 2500HD from an old one they have taken off or a new one they are putting on.

15. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Surely someone has an old 2500HD hub bearing laying around they could measure up .