1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front hitch plow for 04 ram 1500 crew cab

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jibidi, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Jibidi

Jibidi Junior Member
    from NJ

I'm thinking of getting a Summit K2 front hitch plow for my 04 ram 1500. I've heard Western and Meyers are too heavy for my front end without modification. I don't wanna put a lot of money out. My question is do front hitch plows work well. Basically doing driveways and maybe some small parking lots just to make some money this winter. Will probably upgrade both plow and truck next year if I make enough. Any thoughts?
  2. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Look at a Snoway 26 or 26R. They are great plows and weigh less than most on the market. Mine still works great after 6 or so years.
  3. NThill93

NThill93 Member

my dad has an 04 1500 5.7 hemi 4wd auto with a 7.5' full size hiniker it handles it fine. didn't even crank the torsion bars at all
  4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Get a set of Timbrens for the truck. Makes a huge difference. Outside of ball joints and wheel bearings getting a work out, the truck would do fine. I have a Chevy 1500 with a MMII Meyer 8.5 steel blade on the front. It drops about an inch when I raise the plow.
  5. cubplower

cubplower Senior Member

i would suggest almost any regular style plow over a front hitch plow like you are talking about
  6. Jibidi

Jibidi Junior Member
    from NJ

Thanks for all the input everyone. Going shopping tomorrow at Myers
  7. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

I don't believe they have torsion bars, only GM.
  8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

2004 1500: 2wd coil springs. 4wd bars.
  9. NThill93

NThill93 Member

they do, 4wd 1500 has bars the 2wd has springs. trust me I'm under the truck a lot

on a side note saw a gm 3500 duramax and it had torsion bars anyone have one and how does it ride? not sure if its 2 or 4wd gotta check if i see it again.