1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front helper spring F-350 need info

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by captbo, Feb 25, 2003.

1. captbo

captbo Senior Member

I am buying and 8' western from a lady whom sell new stuff on e bay. a local guy tells me I need to add some kind of eurethane helper spring please advise. Thanks Bo

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Not to disagree,but unless your springs are tired,or you shouldnt need any helpers on an F350 with just an 8" western.I bet the truck wont even drop 1" with the blade up.The F350 is a beast,I cant see you needing them at all.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2003
  3. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

He's probably talking about Timbrens (I can't think of the other brand names off hand). Do a search here with that word & you'll find plenty of info on them. Welcome to Plowsite!!

4. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

What year is it? For a little bit more money and time you could upgrade a 99 or newer to the oem ford plow springs.

Howard

5. captbo

captbo Senior Member

Sorry Folks , I should have included more info. Thje truck is a 2001 crew cab with a power stroke diesal it has low milage and is along way from being tired,, Fire away , Thanks Bo

6. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Goto you dealer and ask for the x-code springs, they are the plow springs/550 springs, it will level out your truck, ride better and cost about $220 plus install. I have them on my Excursion and they work great even with a Blizzard 810 Powerplow.

Timbrens are about 135, for a hundred bucks more you could set your truck up right.

Howard

7. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

It depends if it has the plow package also, We've added an additional leaf spring to a couple of our trucks. and they aren't extended cabs. it really helps to keep the undercarriage from scraping. I believe the cost was about $300 and it added about 2" of lift to the front of the truck it really helps especially on the diesel's. I should add the 2 trucks we did it to have 8'6" plows and neither one had the plow package. The rest of our diesels have plow packages and 9' plows and we never added a thing. I would try it without, you can always add them later.

8. John DiMartino

Id try it first,the Western 8 straight is only 715 lbs or so,i bet it dont even need them. If it deos though ,id get the springs and you'll be all set.

9. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

captbo,

Most likely you have "V" code(5200 lb.) front springs. You can check by looking at the sticker on the drivers rear door jamb under "SPR". There will be 2 letters. The first is your front springs and the second is your rears.

I would suggest installing "X" code(6000 lb.) front springs whether you were installing a plow or not! Especially with a Crew Cab. They will help level the truck, improve the stability of the front end when cornering, and even help with a plow;) They are available at your local Ford Dealer Parts Dept.

CONGRATS on the new Stroke!!:D

When you are ready to make it go FAST, let me know!:drinkup:

Greg

10. captbo

captbo Senior Member

HI Dockboy, when this snow melts I will be working in your neck of the woods fishing up on the flats March 15 to may3 I will not book many trips in MArch due to the fresh water runoff and the dam being open

Lets talk about making the truck fast!

Thanks Bo

11. John DiMartino

captbo, dont do it,dont call Dockboy:D . He will make your truck fast and your tires bald even faster:D .Modifing your truck is a sickness, LOL. As far as I know there is no cure,oncr you start,you can never stop;) .I just order new(bigger street injectors yesterday,and a new bigger 5" exhaust. Id listento whatever Greg says,he has a lot of experience with the powerstroke.

12. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

I needed the "X" springs plus 1 additional leaf to level my 02 F-350 PSD Crew Cab 8' front end!

Then as you say truck modifications are a sickness............... well I went and added 2 additional leafs to the rear, then VIOLA ........ it's perfect!(at least in my opinion)

I feel the F-350 PSD Crew Cab truck is the best muti purpose truck around...... plus it looks great!

ChicagoSnow

13. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

LOL! @ John:D ............ That is so true!! I've got about $60k in my $40k truck!!!:rolleyes: But boy is it FUN!!:D

Bo,

I'll email you and we can chat;)

Greg

14. captbo

captbo Senior Member

OK sickness for which there is no cure! not in any order but here it goes
    Harleys
    Bill fishing (marlin)
    Trucks
    Saltwater Fly fishing
    waterfowl hunting
    Boats
    E.M.S.
    fly tying
    shotgunning (sporting clays),, feathered targets are best!
    Women ,,,,,, well the one I got! so make that "woman"

Well thats a start!:drinkup: :drinkup:

15. John DiMartino

LMAO at captbo!! Greg,he'll fit in just fine,I think too much power will be just enough for him-for now.:drinkup: :drinkup:

16. captbo

captbo Senior Member

Speaking of Motosicklz: if any are planning on making it to the Run to the wall this year, I may have room to camp here at the Castle Bo-groovey,, there is alot of great riding here in So. Maryland great seafood too!