1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front gvwr?????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jrodgers, Mar 6, 2001.

1. jrodgers

jrodgers Senior Member

How do you work out what you can have as far as a plow goes with your front Gvwr from what it looks like if I have a front gvwr of 4670 geez I can have like six plows on my truck can someone fill in the blanks for me???

2. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

you must take in acount the motor and every thing else over the front rules what i did was went to a truck stop and weighed the front axle then minused that from front axle weight then take in to acount people accs i might cary

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

go to a public scale,weigh the truck-with you and your passenger,ready for the road-sbtract the weight from the 4670 and you've got your front axle payload.Take that # and multiply it by .7 and that will give you a rough weight limit for the plow assembly.I use .7 because most of the plow is hanging 4 ft out on front of the front wheels,this actually pulls weight off the rear wheels and places it on the fronts- in addition to the total plow weight.A 700 lb plow will usually add 1000 lbs to the front end and pull 300 off the rear-get it.So even though you may have a 1000 lb front payload-the plow limit is about 700-unless you add ballast behind the rear wheels.what kind of truck is it?

4. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Good explanation John.

-Tim

5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

John, I'm a little confused by the wording in your explanation for figuring out Front Axle payload. Want to run it by again with some numbers? Thanks.
    Jrodgers, on your door post there should be some numbers after your VIN. There are probably two numbers. They are weight ratings for accessories on the front of your vehicle. They only apply though, if you have an empty vehicle. And, you can go over the weight that the numbers say if you add proper ballast to your rear axle to take weight off the front. Ex. My truck has a FGAWR of 4600 lbs. My permanent accessory weight allowed according to sticker is 245lbs. My temporary accessory weight allowed is 400 lbs. so, supposedly I can put somewheres around 645 lbs. on the front of my truck safetly(according to Ford) Maybe even more weight if I add ballast in the rear. Your manual should tell you how to interpret the two numbers and where to look for them on your sticker. Good Luck.

p.s, i have a Ford, and do not know if sticker set ups are exactly the same for different vehicles. should be pretty close though

[Edited by oldmankent on 03-07-2001 at 05:07 AM]

6. jrodgers

jrodgers Senior Member

The truck is a 2001 Chevy 2500hd with a diesel. The total weight is 9200 and the front axle weight is like I said 4670 I think. I wonder how big of a Meyer plow I can put on it Meyer doesnt have a listing for my truck on their website. I say Meyer because that is the type of plows I use now and like to keep the same brand for parts compatability reasons and I just know them well.

7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

In regards to John's post, you only want to weigh the front axle, not the whole truck.

jrodgers,

This truck will handle the Meyer plow with no problems, save yourself any further work determining whether it will carry it....IT WILL. But if you do weigh it, let us know! How do you like the Duramax? Do you have the Allison too? Ext., Crew, or Reg Cab? Short or long bed? Sorry for the questions, but this is my dream truck! Take care of it!!

Good Luck

8. SlimJim Z71

The new Duramax Deisels all come with the Allison tranny... and so do the 8.1's.

As far as weighing your truck, since you're already at the scale, weight just the front, then the whole truck, and then just the back. It'll give you a better overall picture of things.

-Tim

9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Slim,

Dont mean to correct you but....
    Dont forget the ZF-6 speeds!

10. SlimJim Z71

Oh yeah... thanks! I was only thinking along the lines of automatics.

-Tim

11. John DiMartino

I know your truck can be had with a plow prep-as long as its not a crew cab-my friend took his Duramax excab to the Fisher dealer-they told him it can take an 8 ft Fisher,which is 825 lbs or more-so you must have plenty of room left.This same dealer said he wouldnt put any plow on his old truck a 97 PSD F250 excab,he had the cash right there,dealer said its not about money-Its a safety thing-I gotta be able to sleep at night.I gotta respect him for that ,turning down 3600 sitting right there.So I know they wouldnt tell him,it is rated to plow if it isnt.You need to weigh your front axle only-if you have a reg cab-you should have around 3400 on the front end-excab 3700-just my guess.

12. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

Something occoured to me while I was beating my truck into the ground yesterday. Everybody makes a big deal about the gross axel weight and the size of a plow. How about when you go into a pile and you're stacking so much snow it's coming over the plow and covering the plow pump and the grille. The force on the front axel from the snow has to be way over the limit. As you come to a stop in the pile you can watch the front end nose dive. Am I wrong about this or is this why plowing kills front ends.

13. John DiMartino

The weight limit of the axle is engineered with a safety factor,if not our axles would break every time we plowed.The weight it can hold and what it can hold legally and safely are 2 different things too.Some trucks-the axle isnt the weak link its the steering box,frame or spring perches,whatever it is the maker has tested it-and placed the limit based on how many they broke in testing by going over that#,or by the Maker of the Axle if its from a vender such as Dana,or American axle.This last storm was wet and heavy,We left the shop without plowing it-12-13" of wet snow,my plow was tripping like mad-,and the gravel under it was soft.yep it beats the crap out of the trucks,I often wonder how the take the punishment we give them so well.

14. jrodgers

jrodgers Senior Member

Hey Dixiel, my truck is an automatic with the Allison. Its an extended cab long bed 4x4 LS and has most of the options offered(no leather). I love the Duramax it has tons of power and the truck itself rides and drives great. I just took my first 3hr drive in it and it rides like a car on the highway(Went to Hunter ski mt. to do some snowboarding in all that snow they got) The guys there were still plowing themselves out when I went there. But the truck is great try one out and buy it if you can......