1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front end

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Greenwalt, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Greenwalt

Greenwalt Member

Well it's getting that time and it figures now is when the truck acts up. 94 K2500 4x4, truck is lifted as well.

The truck has began to pull very hard to the right, and there is a burning metal smell coming from that side. Also, when I stop you can see some smoke coming from the wheel well. I did brakes on the front about a year ago, and the only thing I can think of is the caliper is hanging up or the bearing assembely needs replaced. Obviously I stopped drving the truck, but as you guys understand I need to get it fixed asap.

Any ideas?
  2. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I would lean toward a bearing.....
  3. Mine did that last year. Turned out to be the caliper. I went ahead and replaced both sides and the hoses, better safe than sorry. I show loaded for a 6 lug at $75.00 and 8 lug are $100.00. Hoses are about $25.00 each. If it turns out to be the bearing 6 lug is around $135.00 and 8 lug is about $275.00. The 8 lug bearing replacement is a major pain. The lug studs need to be pounded out to seperate the rotor from the hub. These prices are from Federated Auto Parts. I think we have some stores in your area.
  4. Greenwalt

Greenwalt Member

Any way to know if it is the bearing for sure?
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You haven't pulled that wheel yet? I hope you haven't been driving it.

Jack up under the a-frame. Give the tire a good back and forth shaking. Top & bottom, both sides. Sometimes bad wheel bearings will show up that way. Have you had any grinding noise.

Then pull the wheel and look at the rotor, caliper, pads, etc.

Good chance you have a bad brake flex line, holding the caliper locked on.

Something tells me the problem will be quite evident.
  6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

caliper pin sticking... did you lube the pins up when you did the brakes?
  7. Greenwalt

Greenwalt Member

No I didn't, but when it happened when I used the brakes the hard pull to the right went away.

No, I quit driving it right when it started. I didn't notice any excess play when I shook it back and forth, but I didn't have time to dive in deep enough and check the caliper pins. I didn't notice any grinding noise either. I'll check the brakes and let you guys know what I find. Thanks for the help
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

When you are looking things over, try to push the caliper piston back, like if you were changing the pads. If it is very difficult to move, crack the bleeder screw. If it goes easy then, change the hose.
  9. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

My 98 K3500 did the same thing a few months ago. My caliper was locked up and that side brake line was in bad shape. Of course my pads and rotor were shot and as partsguy08 stated, changing out 8 lug rotors and bearings are a major pain in the butt. My other side rotor was also in bad shape. Since my truck had over 99,000 miles on it and I didn't know if I had heat damaged the bearing assembly on the locked up side, I decided to replace both hub/bearing assemblies since I had to replace the rotors anyway.

I ended up replacing both side brake lines, front brakes and rotors, both calipers, both hub/bearing assemblies and the passenger side CV shaft assembly. The hub/bearing assembly removal turned into a nightmare as I posted in another thread on here.

I would guess that your caliper is locked up and hopefully has not damaged your brakes or rotor. Good luck.
  10. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

hi all that some pricey parts.my wheel bearing for my 79 run less than 20- and front axle joint less than 30 ..hmmmm
  11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Completely different setup. I presume you know that, your user name indicates you are a mechanic to some degree.