1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front end

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by 04f350powerv-xt, Aug 24, 2009.

1. 04f350powerv-xt

04f350powerv-xt Senior Member

just wondering how many of you guys have problems with the front end of your dodges. I have heard that dodges have poor front end parts for plowing. I'm looking at an 2009 ram 2500hd hemi, and am a little worried about the front end, should i be?
    Thanks

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

121k on my 2004's front end. Stop being paranoid about what you hear. It will be fine. I see you have a Superduty, I hear the front ends on those eat ball joints. See where I'm going with this?

3. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

The Newer 2003 + Trucks are MUCH MUCH Stronger in the front end as well as the Transmissions. I wouldn't hesitate in buying a 3rd Gen.

4. 04f350powerv-xt

i have heard the independant front suspension is something to be worried about. Any truth to that?

5. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Well i Can't say from personal Experience, Besides an occasional U joint, From what i've heard and reserched the front ends are holding up well.

6. 04f350powerv-xt

now will timberens reduce wear on the front end or does it just reduce sag?
    same question for the rear suspension.

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Reduce sag. Everything else takes the same punishment from the weight. 2500's don't have IFS so you should worry about if an IFS can handle plowing, but it can.

8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

On my daily driver (03 3500 CTD SRW) I'm on my 3rd set of ball joints at 157k. So yeah, I'd say they go out quicker than they should. But then I look at how much the truck has made me over the time I've had it and I can't complain.

9. 04f350powerv-xt

10. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

The 1500's are IFS. 2500 and 3500 are solid axle. I think you are misreading it, but then again maybe I am or something (but I doubt it). I haven't seen an 09 yet on the road or lot that is 3/4 ton 4x4 and up with an IFS.

Look at GM. There are thousands of guys using them to plow and they have been putting in IFS for 20 years on there 4x4's. They must work ok, right?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  11. 04f350powerv-xt

if i am misreading it, then dodge doesn't make a very user friendly website.....

12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Go to a dealer and ask to see a 3/4 ton 4x4 IFS. Are you trading in the 6 liter?

13. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

I've had new U-joints, all 4 ball joints, and now I'm getting new rod ends put on with just turning 54k on my 06 CTD. That being said, this truck has pushed MOUNTAINS of snow and pulls fully loaded trailers with a dump insert and 1-2 yards of topsoil or 3 yards of mulch in it on a near constant basis. All my parts and labor have been covered under extended warranty anyways. So no complaints here...

14. Lifted4x4Astro

Lifted4x4Astro Senior Member

I just had the front of my 2003 Done in June with 82k on the clock. I had 1 bad ball joint and 1 bad u-joint (opposite sides of course). Due to the wonderful rust and NO never-seize from the factory, the job turned into an $1800 fix! :realmad: But I have new unit bearings and all new greasable ball joints and greasable u-joints.

15. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I think everyone missed this comment. Dodges do NOT have a IFS in the 2500 and 2500 package. The IFS is only in the 1500's when it comes to Dodges. The Chevys run IFS. That arguement is beat to death every where on this board. Yes they are a bit weaker and will sit a bit to low with a plow on it. So you have to crank up the torsion bars and add timbrens. But once again. The truck you are looking at 2500's are a Solid front axle.

As for front end issues. With ball joints and wheel joints. Not really the Hemi's issue. Its more a CTD issue becuase I think it weighs about 800 pounds more than the Hemi. So thats like driving around all year with your plow on. I would not worry about a Hemi front end.

Note the people complaining about the front ends all list a CTD. I am in same boat with them. But once you own that CTD you wont buy a Hemi

16. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i wouldnt worry about the front ends when the factory parts wear out replace with moog and your all set. ;)